Chapter 2 - The Meeting

Somehow Anakin thinks Luke looks even less calm than he did earlier – which was to say, not really at all, though remarkably so, considering how he was thrown into a different time. He seems more closed off and upset, and he can only guess why. Anakin hates seeing him like that though. This is a happy time – Ahsoka is finally coming home.

"Obi-Wan told me what happened to Ahsoka," Luke tells him, "Part of it, anyway."

Anakin nods. "She was so light. So good. You will love her; I know you will."

"I think she survived," Luke admits. "One of the symbols of the Rebellion was her... markings."

"Oh," he says, because what else can he say? He's relieved to know that, but what else could he expect? He trained her well. She was an amazing student – almost nothing could kill her. There's nothing out there she can't handle.

"I can't believe the Jedi would be willing to do this."

"Luke, they do what they think is best," Anakin objects, sighing. This entire conversation just became instantly uncomfortable. "We are in no place to judge them. It was the will of the Force that she left, and now I see that. Had she not left, she would not be where she is needed. She would never have found Maul."

Luke is looking at him like he's not sure he's seeing him, and Anakin doesn't understand it. What could have happened? "It was wrong," he replies firmly. "They should never have done it."

"I know, but they did." Because what more is he supposed to say?

Luke is surprised and confused, and though he hides it well, Anakin can sense it as clear as day. "Yes," Luke agrees grudgingly, though Anakin senses something else is there, right beneath the surface.

"What's wrong?" he asks. "I know I'm supposed to keep my senses to myself, but I know something else is wrong."

He momentarily freezes, seeming uncertain, before speaking. "The Jedi are not like I once thought they were," he confesses.

Anakin makes a sound of understanding. "They were not for me, either, but I know they do the best they can. We cannot expect more than that."

Luke doesn't argue it, for which Anakin is grateful. This entire conversation is awkward, and he has no idea how to handle it. Obi-Wan never had a problem with these conversations, but Anakin always has. "I'm glad she's coming back," he says, finally, though Anakin finds himself wondering who he's glad for, if it's for Anakin or himself, because he knows why his son would want to know someone else with... a somewhat similar relationship, seeing as he hardly knew Anakin from his time. The entire situation is awkward, and Anakin has no idea how to act.

He's never had a father (yes, he has) and he definitely has no idea how to be one. He's only twenty-three, and Luke looks about the same age. Finally, he opts to outright say it – he doesn't care if it's awkward, because everyone knows he doesn't know how to have friends. It was how he got to know Padme – they talked about themselves. It should be different with a child, because he should have raised Luke, but with Ahsoka he trained her as both a warrior and a Jedi. "We know little of each other," he begins. "I haven't... been with someone for a long time. I don't know how to... um." He waves a hand and scrambles to formulate his thoughts, but Luke seems to understand.

"I know very little about you," he confesses. "I was raised by my uncle and aunt on Tatooine. I know about my grandmother, just a little bit. Obi-Wan told me you were a great warrior and pilot, and I've heard a lot of people say likewise, but I don't know you."

It's relieving to know that he's not the only person feeling awkward. "After Ahsoka arrives, perhaps we can... talk," he suggests. "We won't have much time now."