Chapter 8 - Bonding

Luke doesn't want to believe any of what Palpatine was saying, but after what just happened, he can't help wondering. The Jedi do treat Anakin differently. It's like they're only using him, and even if he does somewhat understand the Council's choices, that doesn't make it anger him any less.

The Jedi were supposed to be good. They were supposed to be heroes, but they're nothing like what he always imagined, and he doesn't know what to do anymore.

He doesn't know what to think of Obi-Wan, either. He lied to Luke about everything, and for some reason, he still didn't expect this. He can see all the signs on Anakin – he's hurt him a lot in the past. Whether it's intentional or not is beside the point. It doesn't change the fact.

He didn't trust Obi-Wan before anyway, and he definitely doesn't anymore. But if he can't trust him or the Council or Jedi – and especially because of how close Anakin is with Palpatine there's a limited amount he can tell him either – there's basically no one he can trust.

After everything he's seen, Luke can't look at the Jedi the same way anymore. He doubts he'll be able to again either. For a fleeting moment, he wonders if he can truly continue holding onto their beliefs. To be fair, what he believes is different from this Jedi Order, and that's the thing. Is he a Jedi, or something else entirely?

He doesn't know. He always respected what Yoda and Ben told him about the Jedi even if he didn't always agree with what they were trying to teach him, but now... he doesn't know anymore.

Is this how Anakin feels? Is this why he Fell? Suddenly, Luke has to wonder. It definitely had some connection, even if it wasn't the only reason. He doesn't know what to think, but... right now his focus is on helping Anakin. He can sort through the rest of that... later.

Luke can faintly hear his parents talking in the living room, and he leaves them to have some privacy for now, settling next to Artoo instead. The droid beeps, rolling up to him.

"I know you can keep a secret," Luke begins, finally, throwing a brief glance around to make sure no one will overhear.

The droid beeps curiously.

"I... want to talk to someone about the future I lived, and Rex isn't here," he explains.

Artoo whistles encouragingly. Somehow, talking to him often proves more helpful and encouraging than any human, except for Leia, who's not here. He wishes she was, but truthfully, he doesn't know if she would have been able to handle this.

"The Jedi are nothing like what I thought," he admits, "And I... was talking to the Sith –"

Artoo beeps furiously.

"Yes, I know who he is, but I don't think I should tell anyone. Not yet." He doesn't know when or if, and it feels like the entire future of the universe is resting on his choices – when he doesn't even know what those choices ought to be.

"And he told me that the Jedi aren't fair to Anakin, and now I think I know what he means. I want to believe that he was lying to me, but he wasn't, not totally."

"All species have occasional malfunctions."

He smiles faintly. "I know." But it's not just a few random Jedi. It's the Council, and that says a lot about the Order as a whole. "And... Anakin is close to the Sith," he admits, after a moment.

"You should tell him," the droid beeps, worriedly.

"I don't think he'd even believe me," Luke sighs, "And the Sith would definitely get suspicious if I did that. I don't know if now is the right time."