Chapter 16 - The Death Star

Author's Note: Reunions. ^-^

~ Amina Gila

Going after the Jedi now is easier than it was before. He can see now how corrupt they truly are. The Dark Side is a part of him now, and he frankly can't imagine being without it. It's a good thing he wasn't a Jedi anymore. He doesn't want to stay blinded by their beliefs and become like those from this time.

That doesn't mean he agrees with the Empire any more than he did before, though. At least not Sidious's empire. He fought against it for years, and he'll never stop now. In the end, Sidious is the one who killed Vader. He's the one who took his father from him a second time, too. And maybe he's using the Dark Side more, but he never wants to see his father as anything but Light like he is.

Luke is sent all over the galaxy frequently, but he's not expecting it when Sidious has him accompany him to somewhere in the Outer Rim. He rarely goes places in public with the Emperor unless absolutely necessary, after all. The ways of the Sith are supposed to remain unknown to the galaxy.

Luke's breath catches in his throat as he sees what's looming in space in front of them the moment they come out of hyperspace.

The Death Star.

Just the barest shell structure is visible, but it's enough to know what it will be.

Of course, Sidious is still building the thing. Why would he not? Why did Luke never even think about that until this very moment?

"You are familiar with it," Sidious observes, watching him closely. He still hates that gaze, but he's gotten used to it.

"Yes, my master," Luke acknowledges, and suddenly, a tiny hope flares inside of him. He could use an opportunity like this to point out all the flaws in having a weapon like this. He doubts he Sith will listen, but maybe...

"What did you see of it in the future?" Sidious presses.

Well... this is awkward. "It was destroyed," he answers, carefully, "It was only used on a large scale once, and it's use only backfired. It encouraged people to rebel against the Empire. If anything, it helped the Rebellion. I don't believe such a weapon will be an asset to us."

"Is that so?" Sidious purrs, still watching him.

"That is what I saw," he replies, "Ruling by fear never lasts."

"And yet," Sidious muses, "It is through fear that so many civilians turn in the Jedi hiding among them. It is through fear that the Jedi fell from the start, and the galaxy agreed to accept an Empire."

"It can work in the short term," Luke replies, abruptly wondering where he's finding the courage to argue. He's trying to keep his tone respectful – there's nothing he hates worse, but he's used to it – so he can only hope that will be enough. "But it never works forever. There will always be people who refuse to bow to it eventually."

"It is through fear that the galaxy kneels, and that... Sith apprentices do as well."

There's definitely a veiled threat in those words, or maybe even a hint that Sidious knows more of what goes through Luke's mind than he thought. It sends an instant spike of fear through him, even as he tries to tamp down on it. "I am merely concerned with how it might affect the Empire," Luke argues.

"Or perhaps," Sidious replies, and he seriously needs to learn a thing or two about personal space, "There are other reasons for your reluctance?"

Always questioning his loyalty, though usually not so openly. Is that normal? Or does he – "No, Master," Luke replies, past his flare of anger and hate and frustration.