Chapter 9 - Countdown

Author's Note: I am deeply sorry for the cliffhanger. Well. Not really. xD

~ Amina Gila

Obi-Wan is highly unsettled, to say the least, after his conversation with Ahsoka. He knows what she's trying to say, or at least what he's certain she was implying. She thinks that Palpatine is the Sith. And that's.... Okay, maybe for fleeting moments he wondered because of how suspicious everything is now, but believing that he's someone around Palpatine and that he actually is him are totally different.

But it means the situation is even more serious than they were worried about, because Palpatine won't give up his position, even when the war is officially over. They have to find something against him first, and... This is why Anakin was supposed to be spying him, because they know he's up to something.

Leaving Anakin on the mission means that he'll be right around the Sith Lord at all times. And... he does not like that prospect, but at the same time, Anakin is the Chosen One, the one who's supposed to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith. He might struggle with being a Jedi, but Obi-Wan trusts him to do the right thing.

He comms Windu the first chance he gets. He doesn't have time to go find him in person, and he doesn't want to take anything to the Council until they know something with certainty. "Master Kenobi?" Windu asks in mild surprise.

"I spoke with Ahsoka," he says, without preamble, "And... she said she confronted Maul once, and from what he said, she strongly believes that Sidious is indeed someone high up in the Republic... perhaps at the very top."

"Are you certain?" Windu demands, his voice betraying an obvious hint of anxiety. They suspected he was someone involved with Palpatine, but hearing a likely confirmation is completely different.

"She implied as much, and she was wary about Anakin being around the Chancellor, and I see no other reason for such concerns," he replies.

"I still do not believe the boy should be around him, especially now," Windu declares firmly.

"I don't like it either," Obi-Wan admits, "But if we are to take action, we need a confirmation of his identity. Until then, we can do nothing."

"We will speak with him about returning his powers to the Senate and leaving office as he should have years ago after you have dealt with Grievous. We should be able to determine his identity from there. For now, take care of Grievous."

Obi-Wan murmurs an acknowledgement before the call ends. He has a little more time before he has to leave, and he knows one person who might be able to give them a better idea on what's going on. Maybe.

Luke doesn't seem upset to see him, but he seems... far less open than he was when he first came arrived in this time. Obi-Wan isn't quite sure why or what could have changed so drastically. "What is it?" he asks. It's not cold or sharp, but it still seems to lack life. He doesn't trust him, either, Obi-Wan realizes.

"Anakin has seemed... stressed," he answers. "I was wondering if he told you anything."

"He has good reason to be," Luke retorts evenly. "He is on the Council. Considering the nature of his appointment, I would be shocked if he weren't upset."

Does he know what happened? Anakin shouldn't have told him. Obi-Wan told him not to. It's more a problem of him telling Luke than anything – Luke isn't truly a part of their Order, and therefore, they can't trust him. "I sense something more."

"I would suggest speaking to Anakin himself about it," Luke answers finally. "It's not my place to explain these things. It is my father's choice if he wants to tell you."