Chapter 5

We made it to the hospital and I had fallen asleep. When I had awoken up again, I opened my eyes to see that we were in a bright white hospital room. I look around a bit more and I was laying on Tadashi's chest, he had a breathing tube in his nostrils and had a cast on his leg that was trapped under that wood pole. He was still sleeping.

I lick his face to try and wake him up but he wouldn't wake up, he was breathing, but not waking up. I grabbed his hat from the corner of the hospital bed with my mouth and looked at him and I bowed looking playful and wagging my tail. I realized we wasn't going to wake up from that, so I put the hat back down on the corner of the bed, lowering my ears downwards and my tail stops wagging.

I lick his face again and whimper, laying down on his chest, whimpering. I've learned that he's going to be asleep for a while do to smoke inhalation. I don't know how long it will last. I already miss him.

Aunt Cass and Hiro came in the hospital room and sat on the chairs near the wall. Hiro pets my head and I lift my head up to look at him. He holds my bowl with water in it up to me and I started to drink it fast. I was so thirsty from being overheated from the fire. Hiro chuckles at me as I made a little mess as I splashed a little bit of water out of my bowl as I was drinking.

After they were done visiting Tadashi, Hiro put my collar on me and attached a new leash onto it.

"Ready to go, you two?" Aunt Cass asked.

"Yes, Aunt Cass." Hiro sounded little sad about the situation still.

We said goodbye to Tadashi and left the room.

——

When we left the hospital, the sky was dark with gray clouds covering the enter sky, blocking the sunlight from shining through.

We walked to the truck and got inside. I sat next to Hiro, where Tadashi used to sit, so I could look out the window.

Aunt Cass and Hiro were both silent on the drive. I looked out the window and watched other cars go by, the streets looked so gloomy it was like the whole town new about Tadashi. At least Tadashi was still alive, he was hurt, but still alive.

——

We had made it back to the Lucky Cat Cafe. We all went inside still silent, no sounds, no talking at all... just sadness.

Hiro ran upstairs suddenly. I followed him up the stairs and I saw him laying in his bed, with his face buried in his pillow. I climb onto his bed and walked over next to him, looking at him.

I start to lick his ear and he gets up quickly.

"Gah! Rikuuu!" He responded in a flabbergasted tone and looks at me covering his ear.

My tail wags and I start to lick his face.

"Ah! No! Ahahaha! Stop! Stop it!" He laughs.

I stop and lay down next to him and he starts to pet my back for a while.

"I just don't know why... Tadashi... would do that to himself? ...Why? I know he wants to help people... But he risked his life! I could have.... Lost him! It feels like that I've actually lost him even though he's still here.... It hurts..." He breaks down.

I sit down close to him and he hugs me and started to cry. I nuzzled him and stayed there so I could help him feel better. I know I didn't have my vest anymore because of the fire, but I can still be of service to others because I know now that it's my duty to help others.

Hiro eventually fell asleep and I laid next to him and fell asleep also.

——

I woke up to see that Hiro was up again. He was wearing a black suit and tie with a white shirt on the inside.