Chapter 6

The Prado

I sipped the hot coffee, felt it wakening my mouth tissues, walked over to the curtain, unveiled a small part that only my eye could fit through, peeped through, all the way through the palisades and saw a black Van parked across the road. Probably, a Nissan. It had only to windows in the front seats then the back was all metal. It was printed electrical fittings and satellite installations. Never been seen before.

What could be the volume? At first, I told myself they could be just some random engineers, but my gut couldn't contain that volume. I had to be sure. I hurried to the bedroom to take my blue hood. I wore it, while I opened the front door. I walked across the grey brick pavers in the front way, carefully scanning the car, but the tinted glasses were blocking my view. I had to do something.
I had a great idea. It wasn't great, I rethought, but I did it anyway.

I took the show outside the gate, drawing the unnecessary attention with my lawn mower. It was stupid. I had recently cut the lawn.

From a distant, I heard a shout. The mower was blocking my ears. It was Jeffrey. Sorry, Jeffry was my neighbour. I turned off the machine.

At the time, he must had been repeating his statement.

I heard him say, "You must be going through some phases man. Didn't I saw you mowing down your lawn earlier this Thursday?"

I sighed, powerlesly and said, "You're late for Sabbath school Jeffrey!!"

I saw him put the seats for his seven months twins, maybe eight. I was not sure. I heard his wife shouting his name from inside the house. Sower taste, she sounded more offensive than me when she called her husband's name. That's why I was set free from marriage, I thought. This guy was in complete hell. I started feeling pity for the man I hated.

Who bothers to waste a stare at this modern family? They were not even perfect together. The worst couple ever. I deeply had some serious issues to deal with.

Speaking of my mission, I turned to check on that Prado and it was gone. How did it slip through my noisy lawn mower. My bad. My heart raced.
It must have been watching me, I pondered. Who ever was inside that van.

Back indoors, quickly, packed the laptop, took my gun, my briefcase, hid some sensitive treasures, herded to the garage, started my engine and hit my head against the steering. I forgot to open the garage.

I pulled down the lever only to face two men infront of me with long guns in their arms. They were pointing them to my face.