01 | imprisoned

"Go faster!"

"I'm already going as fast as I can! Can't you see the line in front of me?!"

"Kai," Lloyd hissed.

The Fire Ninja turned to his friend, the exasperated expression on his face not wearing off. "What, Lloyd?" he asked, his tone daring the younger to speak his mind.

Lloyd sighed, looking behind them. The other inmate was glaring daggers at the back of Kai's head. Even though they had sworn off to any fights inside the prison, the one and only Fire Ninja was apparently having none of that.

"You can go ahead," Lloyd told the older man who then turned to look at him.

Without uttering another word, he walked in front of Lloyd and Kai.

The latter gaped at his teammate's words. "What the hell, Lloyd? Why would you do that?"

"Because," Lloyd emphasized. "We are not here to start any fights, remember?"

Kai rolled his eyes. He watched as the lunch lady dumped some mashed potatoes onto the tray of the person in front of them. He sighed, knowing that that was the fourth day in a row in which his lunch would consist of mashed potatoes, some broccoli that tasted like tap water, and some actual tap water.

As he looked ahead, he saw one last red apple that looked somewhat tasty behind the glass next to the lunch lady. His eyes were glued to the fruit, his mind already imagining the delicious, juicy consistency of the red-colored goodness that he hadn't eaten once after his imprisonment.

But his happiness got crushed when the prisoner in front of him asked for the apple and actually got it.

"Hey! I wanted that!" Kai exclaimed, forgetting that there were other people around as well.

So, everyone in near proximity stopped what they were currently doing to look at what was wrong with the Master of Fire.

Lloyd facepalmed. All he wanted was some lunch, not some drama that could've easily been avoided.

"What was that?" the guy in front of the two ninja asked lowly.

Kai eyed the apple on his tray before glancing back into his brown eyes.

The other male copied his actions, his gaze landing on his apple. Then he let out an amused chuckle. "Oh, this?" he asked as he grabbed the fruit. Holding it up for the Red Ninja to see, he waited for a second before he took a big, crunchy bite out of it while staring at Kai with spite swirling in his eyes.

Before Kai could lunge at the man who started to laugh darkly, Lloyd held him back by his shoulder. "He's not worth it," he whispered to his friend before looking around at the people. "Sorry," he apologized for Kai's actions.

As the man walked away, the two ninja went to stand in front of the lunch lady. They held their trays in front of her and watched as the food that did not look appetizing one bit was dumped onto their plates.

Sighing in sync, they grabbed their glasses of water, put them onto their trays themselves, and walked away.

On their way over to the table that the ninja group shared, they could feel many stares full of hatred and anger thrown after them.

"What was that about?" Cole immediately asked once they sat down.

"Ask Kai," Lloyd said before he grabbed his fork and unwillingly started to eat his food. His face scrunched up at the sour taste, yet he forced himself to shove the concoction down his throat.

Cole and Jay, who were sitting next to each other, then turned Kai.

The Fire Ninja glanced up at them for a second before looking back down at his tray while stabbing the mashed potatoes with his fork and stirring them around on his plate.