06 | promised

This chapter has not been proofread. I will come back to it and do it once I'm able to.

The moonlight shone brightly in the night sky. The few stars that were already there looked like a constellation of beautiful marks, all placed with precision and care.

Nya smiled. It was calm. It was quiet. It was peaceful. Even if it was for only a moment's time. She couldn't forget about her worries, or ignore them, but she could admit that they were there, which was a first.

She was sitting on the top stair in front of the monastery's gate, outside. She could have sat inside as well, but not being stuck in that mentally confining space was a relief she had been seeking.

It was breezy, so she had brought a thin blanket with her, already having guessed she would get cold the longer she sat out in the open.

The light blue, frizzy material hugged her body tightly, warming it up lovingly.

It was his blanket after all. It gave her the comfort she was currently lacking.

Her memories brought her back to a time where everything was better. Not easier, per se, but still more bearable.

Her family more or less in one piece, the threat easier to beat, the government not turned against them. That was a time she had not cherished, now that she thought about it.

She had taken it for granted.

Big mistake.

She missed those times now. How could she not? It was not like having your family ripped away from you was something everyone liked.

Nya's cunning ears detected a faint mechanical sound coming from beneath her. Someone either left the underground base or just entered it.

She didn't care about it, she only continued to focus on the few stars that were above her.

They looked very pigmented for beings that were uncountable miles away from her. She felt inferior when she looked at them, studied them.

A door opened behind her; Nya could hear it. It tended to squeak slightly when it was opened slowly. Someone needed to oil it, she thought.

A few seconds passed before the gate behind the sitting woman was pushed open. Nya didn't turn around to look at who it was.

The mystery person took a seat to Nya's left and also led their gaze up at the sky, looking at what Nya was looking at.

Finally turning her head to her left, Nya realized it was her good friend Skylor.

She wordlessly looked up again.

The two sat there, on the concrete stair, for a good few minutes before the redhead broke the silence.

"Dareth and I visited the guys earlier today," she began quietly, not straying her eyes away from the dots in the sky.

"I know," Nya answered after a long release of her breath. She watched as the air that just left her lungs swayed in front of her for a second before dissolving.

She had been made aware of the fact that Skylor and Dareth had gone to visit the five incriminated ninja to have a talk with them, judge how well their chances were to get released earlier than their sentencing was.

"They asked about you," Skylor continued, letting out unnecessary details to get to the actual point. "Well, Jay asked about you."

Nya's breathing hitched for a second as her heartbeat unknowingly increased by a few beats. Her eyes left the stars to look back at Skylor. She didn't say anything, she just waited for her to proceed.