23 | wanted

Time was a funny concept.

It entailed many memories and perspectives. Somebody died the moment another person was born, and there was nothing that could have stopped either.

Life and death were fused together, bonded by mere strings, and for Cole Brookstone, death meant peace. He had been a ghost once upon a blue moon, he should know best of all.

Not that he would want to meet his end any time soon, though. He liked the life he was living now, even when all he did was either fight or hide.

The thrill enticed him and gave him something to look forward to. The fact that his family was there to witness all of life's aspects with him was even better.

But dread was a feeling he never wanted to feel, not back in the day, not now in the moment.

The air was thick and cold inside the Land Bounty. All six passengers were buried in their own thoughts. Nobody joked. Jay didn't make everyone laugh. Nya didn't yell at anybody. Kai didn't brag about anything. Cole didn't turn on any music from his We in da land bounTAYY playlist. Lloyd didn't talk about video games. Zane didn't correct anybody's grammar. Not that he could with no one uttering a single word anyway.

He was the one driving the vehicle, since he was able to control his emotions best. Nindroids tended to do that often.

While Kai and Nya were still on the verge of breaking down at any given chance, Jay was completely and utterly petrified.

It was obvious what must have happened to Ray and Maya. Everyone could sense it, but no one actually said it out loud. They were scared it would turn out to be true the moment they said the words.

Having seen the image of a bloodbath inside Ray and Maya's sleeping quarters was something Jay was sure he wouldn't forget for a long time. But he stayed somewhat composed for his girlfriend, who'd been sobbing uncontrollably just a couple of hours prior.

She was silent now. Not that she had said anything at all after what they had seen.

Jay was not dumb. He knew the Smiths were either kidnapped or killed and then kidnapped. He bet every penny in his bank account it was their combined enemies.

So if they did that to Ray and Maya, what would stop them from doing the same to Ed and Edna?

Just that thought alone caused Jay to visibly shake. In fact, his hands were shaking so badly he placed them on his thighs and fiddled with the belt of his gi.

They were all in their ninja-wear now.

Scrap 'N Junk was in the middle of nowhere, in the center of a freaking desert. They were the perfect victims of a planned murder. Hell, even an unplanned one.

Jay could feel it coming. A panic attack.

One of many, probably, with the rapid beating of his heart.

He had had many panic attacks in the past, so the team was already prepared for such moments. Reaching forward, Jay unzipped a small portion on the back of Lloyd's seat and pulled out a pill bottle, as well as a small water bottle.

He felt a pair of eyes on him as he popped a few pills into his mouth and drank the water. Then he turned his head to the side.

It was Nya, looking at him with red tear-brimmed eyes. The two exchanged knowing glances before looking back ahead.

Nya was feeling all kinds of emotions. Sadness. Anger. Fury. Remorse. And now pride, because she was proud of Jay for knowing what was coming and taking care of it.