40

[Annika - A, Shivaay - S]

It had been a week since Shivaay's birthday, Annika's resolve was strong now, she wouldn't hide her feelings and share them with him and let the chips fall where they may.

She was waiting in a restaurant to meet a potential client. After her meeting, she headed out to the parking lot. She spotted Shivaay's car and immediately a smile emerged on her lips. She called him but he disconnected it and replied with a text 'In a meeting right now, see you at home'. After reading the text Annika moved ahead to get to her scooty in the parking area but before she could go any further, she saw very familiar faces. There, in the parking lot, stood Shivaay and Tia, hugging.

Annika didn't like this at all and tears began to well up in her eyes.

A(in her mind): why did he lie to me? Why are they here together like this? Are they...? Wait, wait, wait, Annika, don't be dramatic like some daily soap heroine, don't jump to conclusions. There's no need to doubt, they are friends, and it's normal to hug your friends. And they could be meeting for any reason, you're getting jealous that's it. Calm down, go home, there's nothing to cry about. Everything is fine

She talked herself out of doing anything stupid, brushed away those thoughts, and went home. Even though she had calmed herself down, she still had that image burned in her mind of Shivaay hugging Tia tenderly.

She let this incident go, it was no big deal. She decided to push her date with Shivaay a few days until she could bring her heart and mind on the same page. She needed to come to terms with the fact that unlike her, Shivaay had many friends and some of them were girls and he had exes. She didn't want to be one of those obsessive partners who wouldn't let their spouse meet their friends of the opposite sex. So she took a breather and paused her date planning.

********

Two days later, Annika spotted them again, having lunch together at the same restaurant. They were sitting close and talking. Annika guessed perhaps they were working together, some deal between Oberois and Kapoors. And then Shivaay held Tia's hands in his.

Annika's client approached and they headed toward their table. After a while, she saw them leaving from the corner of her eye.

Annika thought about confronting Shivaay but decided against it. She didn't want to end up making a mountain out of a molehill. She let it go. She was still sure about her own feelings and decided to tell him the upcoming weekend.

********

Friday night, they were in their room. Annika was waiting for Shivaay to change and come out so she could ask him if he wanted to go out the next day. While he was inside, his phone began to ring. Annika saw the caller id, 'Tia'. She stopped herself from receiving the call

A: Shivaay your phone is ringing

As Shivaay unlocked the door of the washroom, Annika quickly went and sat on the couch and began fiddling with her iPad.

Shivaay came out and saw Tia's name on his screen, he excused himself and went to the pool area to talk. This was totally out of character.

A(in her mind): Shivaay always receives his calls even if I'm in the room. He has never stepped out like this, neither when he's talking about work nor when he's talking to his lawyer or accountant. Then why now? What is so important that Tia called at 11 pm? Why did Shivaay feel the need to step out to receive the call? Are they back together? Oh god, I can't understand anything!