53

"Can you... Train me?"

Mai raised an eyebrow.
That definitely wasn't what she'd expected.
"What?"
She asked and the boy bowed in a perfect ninety degree angle. His hair falling forward and arms straight by his sides.

"Train me, you said during the sports festival I needed someone to train me! A-and I have been training with Eraserhead a little bit but he's a busy guy! And I don't like bothering him."
He pleaded.

Mai's eyebrows drew together.
Aizawa was training him? When the fuck did he have time to do that? When Did the guy ever sleep?! Did he sleep?!
'One day that man is going to drop dead from exhaustion.'
She thought still staring at the purple haired boy infront of her.
"Whatever, get the fuck up you look ridiculous."
She turned and made her way to the exit Shinsou was practically skipping behind her which contradicted his personality greatly and was slightly unsettling.

"So... Is that a yes!"
He asked from his new spot behind her.

"Yes."
Mai said with a nod. It's not like she had anything better to do right?
"Come along my young protégé."
She said walking out the door.

"Yes ma'am!"
He squeaked out and Mai's face dropped.
"Don't call me ma'am."
She commanded and he frantically nodded.
It was already dark out but Mai walked to the training field nonetheless, she wasn't tired anymore and had no intention of going to bed early.

...................

"Long story short you suck."
Mai said tapping Shinsou with her foot.
He was laying on the ground arms and legs spread like a starfish. He was huffing and breathing heavily after the small amount of training Mai put him through.

It was only a few simple tests to see exactly how he was strength wise and it wasn't looking good for the fella.
His endurance sucked, he was overall weak and he could only do about ten push-ups before crumbling.
"Really?"
Shinsou wined as he rubbed his eyes.

"Yeah, you'd probably be stronger if you could get more sleep. You should also probably change up your diet."
Mai suggested.

"Yeah Aizawa already gave me a diet plan a few days ago."
He sighed. Long story short Shinsou hated vegetables and loved chips and energy drinks, But Aizawa was shoving vegetables down his throat and lecturing him about how to many monsters could give him a heart attack or some shit.

"Have you been using it?"
Mai asked grabbing his arm and forcing him up.

He looked to the side.
"More or less..."
He answered honestly. It was probably more less though.

"Well make it a full yes and you'll probably improve."
Mai lectured and Shinsou groaned.
He didn't know what exactly he expected Mai to be like while training him. She was similar to Aizawa in multiple ways but also remarkably different.

"Your quirk will be useful in many circumstances, but once someone figures it out you'll have a problem. Especially in a situation where you're fighting a group. But If you stay in the shadows as a underground hero you'll have a better chance of surprising people."
Mai assessed looking him over.
"But overall you need to improve on strength, stamina and strategy."

"Yeah, but I also have a mask being made by the support course. It'll let me change my voice to mimick others to confuse my opponents."
He pointed out hoping it will make him seem a little less sucky.
"That will com in handy but in a fight it could be broken, though helpful you shouldn't rely on support items that you could be separated from."

He deflated slightly. Why did Mai have to make so much sense? It was tiring listening to someone being smarter than him.

"Same with quirks, your quirk can not only be taken away but also used against you. You may come across people that use your drawbacks in their favor."
Mai continued pointing at him.
"There are also quirks like Eraserhead's that can remove your quirk by only looking at you."

"What about someone with a strength quirk like you? If they know my quirk it won't matter how strong I am they'll beat me."

"When did you get so negative?"
Mai put a hand on her hip and poked his forehead.
"That's when you use your brain. Every quirk has a drawback or two even mine, use that to your advantage."

"How?"
He asked rubbing his forehead with a pout.

"My quirk enhances both my strength and my senses, I can't use one part without the other."
Mai explained using herself as an example.
"So if you needed me to deactivate my strength you would need to take advantage of my senses. Strong smells from chemicals or bright lights could overwhelm me and force me to turn off my quirk, then you could fight me hand to hand and use my disoriented state to your advantage."

"Did you just tell me step by step how to kill you?"
He asked nerrowing his eyes.

Mai shrugged.
"I told you a method that would make me weaker, but you probably wouldn't be able to actually kill me with it."
She said nonchalantly.

"Oh yeah? How come?"
He asked arrogantly with his hands crossed over his chest.
Mai smirked and gave him a light slap, using her speed quirk to quickly back away.
To Shinsou it looked like she barely even moved, the only proof that she was the one that hit him was her snickering.
"Hey!"
He complained rubbing his cheek.

"If I thought you were trying to kill me I'd assume you'd try that method and act accordingly."
She continued as though that didn't even happen.
"Meaning I'd take you down before you could start your plan."

She yawned slightly.
"Anyways we should get back before curfew, and you should try to get some sleep."
She advised her insomniac protégé before walking off.
"I'll meet you here after classes tomorrow alright?"