Alliances and Nuisances

It is understatement to say that words are powerful, because it goes far deeper than that. They are weapons that can be wielded for the purpose of whoever is delivering them. Knowledge is lethal, especially when fallen into the wrong hands. Hitler, for one. The Fuhrer was a vile man, but he too knew the secret of language. He tapped into the power of words and manipulated it to his advantage, along with the whole of Germany.

It is why I sit here in paranoia, perturbation clawing up my spine making it's way to my neck and unleashing gooseflesh all over my body, as I mull over the true depth of danger we're really in. I may not know who the murderer is but from his writing, the subtext, the metaphors, the plethora of riddles knitted under the guise of literary techniques...

I know he is educated and vengeful- a dreadful mix. If I've learnt anything, it's to never inspire rage from an intellectual, for their revenge is ruinous.

~~~

Honeyed rays of sunshine filter through the window, it's light dancing upon my cheek, kissing me awake. My brain, like the rusted gears of an overworked factory machine, aches for a break, for refreshment. I decide to go for a walk, to clear my mind from the muddle of the night before.

Dewiness permeates the morning air, as the greenery around glitters with a lustrous sheen. I inhale deeply, allowing the oxygen to seep into every fibre of my being and letting it go, feeling my muscles ease and a calmness settle in. Realising that I had closed my eyes, I open them slowly, permitting my senses to re-adjust to my surroundings as I continue my stroll. The chirping birds quiet, as I hear fast steps of running behind me. I move to the side, giving space to the person.

"Miss. Burroughs?" A hoarse voice questions. Upon closer inspection, I recognise who it is.

"Officer. Hart, Good morning." I reply with a polite smile. Droplets of sweat bead on his forehead, as he pants.

"Fancy bumping into you, I didn't know you ran." He assumed.

"Oh, I don't. I'm just clearing my head."

"Yes, a lot of that has been going on as of late."

I nodded grimly as he spoke again, "Miss. Burroughs, I've been meaning to get in contact with you again in order to resume our conversation from the last time my partner and I visited you."

And with just a couple words the calmness fizzled out, fleeting away, making room for the anxiousness to return.

"Please, Eleanor."

I looked up at mention of my name. His pleading eyes, convey more. He was desperate. He needed help. Help to solve this case, to arrest the murderer who killed Osbourne and Dominic Quill.

"Can you meet me at Aymes Cafe in an hour?"

~~~

I ready myself for the meeting with Officer. Hart. As I open the door to leave, I gasp, bewildered to see Golding standing before me, as though he was about to knock.

"God! What the hell are you doing here?" I ask, stiffness in my tone.

"You look a bit stressed out, I can fix that." He proposed, the corners of his mouth pulling upwards as he gazed at me intently.

"You repulse me." I spat, walking away. I wasn't going to waste what precious time I had on him.

"Where are you going, Love?" He shouted from behind me.

I ignore him, making my way outside. To my misfortune, he follows me.

"If you don't tell me, I'll keep following you until I find out what your up to." He slithers, striding next to me.

"I have a meeting. One that does not concern you." I reply, my focus straight ahead as we cross the street.

"A meeting? Do enlighten me."

"Do take your leave, Golding."

My steps slow down as we reach Aymes Cafe. I spot Officer. Hart and wave at him, moving towards where he is seated. Golding notices Hart and shoots a look at me, "What's he doing here?" He inquires, oddly slowly.

I stop and look at him, "This has been fun, Love." I mock his endearments. "But I'm afraid this is where we part. Bye now."

I reach Hart and greet him as I sit down. He looks up as someone approaches.

"Hope I'm not crashing the party."

As I look behind me, Hart speaks, "Oh, hello. No, not at all. Please take a seat Mr. Golding." A shocked and slightly disappointed look settles on his face.

Slowly, I look at Golding. A lethal look stitched on my face, I could've sworn he'd made me develop a twitch. I purse my lips, a forced smile to disguise everything else. After all, there was a police officer in front of us.

"Miss.Burroughs, are you alright?" Hart asks hesitantly, pulling my attention towards him and away from the thief who stole it.

"Yes, Miss.Burroughs. Are you alright?" Golding teases, emphasis on the 'Miss'.

Ignoring him I say, "Yes, I'm fine and will be even better when this case is solved and the twisted person doing this is behind bars."

"I'm glad we're on the same page. Please, indulge me in any information you may know. I am inclined to inform you on everything my office has, so long as we work together and you inform me on anything new you learn." He explains.

"Have you any idea who did this? Any suspects?"

"So far, we've investigated Osbourne's wife, Vivienne."

In response to my nod of inquiry, he continues "She too, was in London. We still have our suspicions but for now she has a strong alibi, she was seen in a restaurant with a friend."

Before I was able to process anything, he spoke again, "Not much after that. Besides yourself, Mr. Golding and Mary Langford, we interrogated Professor. Humphries and he was with his family the night of the murder. Athough, I doubt it would take much to guess he wasn't the murderer."

At that, a laugh escapes me. He looks at me and smiles, his grey-blue eyes lighting up. I feel the piercing stare of Golding as he looks at the both of us.

"I believe I may have some useful information." I say. "At the funeral, I met someone. He told me he was an old friend of Osbourne and invited me to his home."

Pondering on what I've just said, he vocalises his thoughts, "I'm not sure if you should go alone. Perhaps, the police should speak with him- "

"No. No, he said he'd prefer to speak with me not just about Osbourne. I have a feeling that if you and the police approach him, he may not reveal whatever it is he knows." I interrupt.

"I'll accompany Miss. Burroughs." Announces Golding.

I burst out laughing, more a scoff turned to a laugh of shock. "You most certainly will not! I can take care of myself perfectly well. In fact, Officer, I find your lack of confidence in me insulting."

"I'm sorry, Miss. However, it would give me a great deal of peace knowing you had someone with you, considering the circumstances."

I look between the both of them, words failing me. "Unbelievable."

"Oh believe it, Burroughs. And may I remind you, it is a crime to refuse the orders of an officer of the law." Golding explains smugly, his chin resting on his knuckles.

Arse.

"I appreciate the valuable information, Officer. I'll let you know if I find out anything important." I say, rising from my seat.

Golding follows. "She means we will let you know if we find out anything"