A Dance With Discord

"Lesson 1: The power of a punch isn't important, it's the speed. You must catch your opponent off guard. Opt for more creative routes of injury such as, punching them in the throat. It stops their breathing, giving you time to knock them off their feet." Reveals Noelle, demonstrating her techniques.

The training hall was as vast as it was empty, nothing but a mat. She raised her hands, signalling me to throw a punch. Mustering up all the courage I had, I attempt a punch. Grabbing my arm she twists it behind me. I yelp at the pain of a stretched muscle, to which she pulls more. "Get out of it! Attack me!" She shouts.

I try to yank myself from her grip but she doesn't budge.

Speed. She said speed was key.

I stop for a moment to give the front that I'm struggling then rapidly, I put my leg between hers, knocking her on the ground as I wrench my arm from her grasp.

"Not bad for a beginner." She compliments, reaching out a hand for help. I grab it, I shouldn't have. She pulls me down as her foot slams on my throat, "Lesson 2: Don't trust anyone."

Coughing, I stand up, beads of sweat forming on my head. "By the way, your punches are atrocious. You're hurting yourself, not your opponent." She criticised. "Ball your hands, make sure your thumb isn't tucked inside and when you actually punch the first two knuckles must hit first." She explained, pointing to her now fisted hand. I follow her direction, "Punch!" She yells, her powerful voice like a boot camp leader. I aim and hit.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

Whenever I stopped for a break, to catch my breath, she tripped me.

This is why I loved literature. I didn't have to deal with such strenuous excercise. Even in school, I was always the one running away from the ball, not toward it.

"The more you slack, the more I push." She proclaimed, staring down at me.

"Just a little break, please. Some water?" I rasped, flat on the floor.

"Sure." She replied, giving me a bottle.

"Thank you." I say, reaching out to grab it-

"But you'll have to run for it." She crooned, throwing it all the way to the end of the hall.

I stared at her flatly.

"How dare you?" I say, my voice monotone. I kick my legs behind hers, watching her collapse on the ground.

We look at each other for a second and burst out laughing, one that evolves into a cackling that fills the hall.

~~~

Oftentimes we demonise all of humanity for the actions of some, leading us to construct a rigid, narrow mindset that writes an evil narrative, one that not all of us deserve. When in truth- humans are precious.

We are so complex and intricate and we cannot live without each other. That is why there is so many of us and why for all of time, one thing has remained constant.

Love.

Connection.

It is a universally accepted truth that we cannot possibly live in solitude. We yearn for love, for acceptance, for intimate bonds whether they be romantic or platonic.

Even the wicked, love.

It fills our hearts with glee when experiencing life's gifts together. It may be as small as having a conversation or as big as having a child.