Time, Fate, and Love

Society is paradoxical, nothing and no one is ever certain or fixed. This is most evident in how individuals react when faced with perplexing situations and people. Curiosity is an innate part of human nature, therefore anomalies serve as catalysts that motivate individuals to question their beliefs and values and search for transformative/challenging experiences. 

That is what Fraser manor was. An anomaly. 

And so was Vincent. Always running off somewhere, doing something. With who? And where?

Still unanswered. 

I arrive at the breakfast table first. Silas not too far behind me. 

"Good Morning again, Eleanor." Mr. Fraser welcomed, sitting at a table filled with every breakfast item one could imagine. Pastries, scrambled eggs, fruit, charcuterie boards, all arranged in fancy china and detailed platters. The aroma of all the delicious flavours fills the air, teasing my empty stomach. 

I sit down eagerly as Lilith pours us coffee. "How was your sleep?" Vincent asks, slicing his toast.

I look to Silas for a moment. He ignores me. It was a silent agreement between us to not speak about it. 

"This is scrumptious." I say, biting into a pastry, the sugary cinnamon taste melting in my mouth.

"I'm afraid we haven't met, I'm Vincent Fraser. An old friend of your Professor. Osbourne." He introduces himself to Golding, who reciprocates the greeting. 

Silence overcame the room save for the sounds of chewing and cutlery clanging on dishes.

"I remember being your age, studying in Oxford, reaking havoc on the professors with Gael and Waylen." He recounted smiling, a nostalgic air around his words. The corners of his eyes, creased and wrinkles etched on his face. Fine lines of memory and time. 

"How did you meet them?" I wonder aloud. 

He chuckles. "Waylen was a meek young man. Which is a euphemism for- he was bullied... severely." Looking past me, he continues. "One day, he had gotten into a fight and was far from winning it. I got involved and helped him out. Ever since that day, we began to keep each other company. It wasn't until we met Gael, who began attending Oxford a month after we all did, that our companionship evolved into a brotherhood. Gael was always the more confident and social one while I preferred to silently win." 

"And Waylen?" Silas asked. 

"Waylen was the smartest of all. Everything came easily to him but he never showed it. In addition to his natural abilities, he would work even harder." 

"Was?" I questioned. 

He gave me a solemn almost ashamed to speak of him look. "We drifted apart." 

"Were there any people who were envious of you three? Who gave you a hard time? A rival group or individual from back when you attended Oxford?" I implore, desperate for answers. 

"Were there?! Almost everyone in our year group was jealous of us. Of the work we produced, the bond we had with our professors. For the entirety of our college careers, we were undefeated in the marks we received, always top of our class." He explained. "There was one specific student, Kavish Dalal. He loathed us. He was always used to being first in every class, was even Head boy at his secondary school. He was in for a shock when he went up against us. Always fourth place. He played some nasty tricks on us, but nothing we couldn't handle. I felt bad for him because Gael would always go twice as hard on him after he pulled anything on us." 

I smile remembering Professor Osbourne, it seemed as though he hadn't changed. 

"But that was just Osbourne. He was very fiery in his youth. Impulsive sometimes."