The Flame Ceased

Love is the only thing that can both ruin and redeem us, and that, is very dangerous.

Silas' head jolts up at the sound, "You must leave. You must. Run. Run into the forest, head for the helicopter. Take it and leave. Go somewhere far away. Save yourself and be happy, Eleanor. Please. Let this be the one good thing I do. Let me save one of us at least." His face scrunches as he pleads, holding my shoulders. 

I shake my head. "When have you ever known me to listen to you? I will stand here, forever, if I must."

Red and blue lights flicker in the distance. 

"Go! Go now, please!" He shouts, placing a hand on my back and pushing me toward the helipad.

"No!" I plant my feet on the ground, refusing to move. "I will not leave you, Silas."

Desperation tugs on his face as he whips his head from side to side. "Eleanor, I- please-" He stammers for a moment, grasping my hand. "They will do whatever it takes to get me. I cannot watch them hurt you. I cannot have your death on my hands. That, will end me." 

But it was too late. 

Police cars encircle us on the road like vultures hunting for prey. Hand still in mine, I push Silas behind me. 

At once, they all exit their vehicles, slamming the doors shut, a mocking symphony. 

Hart leads them, "Cowardice at it's finest, gentlemen." 

A sneer twitches on my face, growing deeper the longer I look at him. 

"It's over, Golding. You can stop hiding behind the girl." He tilts his head toward Silas, laughing, cueing the others to join in. 

My stomach flips.

"Do not utter a word to him, you worthless scum." I snarl, anger rising in me. 

"Eleanor." Sonder's pulls my attention toward her. She looks at me now with such pity, worried eyes pleading with me. My friend, whom I respect and hold in the highest regard, now looks at me as though I am insane. 

"Eleanor, please. Just put your arms up and walk toward me slowly. It is not you we want." She says slowly, carefully. 

My heart twinges, sorrow flashing on her face. 

"You know I cannot, Noelle." I say, finally, voice croaky as I look in her eyes, an unfortunate understanding growing. 

"You will truly defend a murderer? I had thought you to have better judgement, Miss. Burroughs." Hart slithers, all too confident and joyed by the predicament. "Tell me, does he fuck you so well that you've lost all your good sense?"

My cheeks heat, nausea settling in my stomach. Behind me, I feel Silas shift. "You bastard!" He clamours, powerfully charging toward him, "You coward!" I hear the deep rumbling in his voice before the sound of guns clicking ripples through the air, every single one of them aiming at us. Without a second thought, I grab Silas' gun from the ground and point it at them. 

His eyes darken, jaw clenching and I feel the might of his anger emanating off him. "You pitiful excuse of a man!" Silas spits. "Drop that weapon you hide behind and fight me! Or do I scare you? Come now, Griffin. Afraid you can't put your money where your filthy mouth is?" He cocks his head, arms open. "You wouldn't be the first scumbag I've killed." A crazed look flashes in his eyes.

My heart thumps wildly, uncontrollably as my grip on the gun tightens. 

Hart's narrow eyes stare at Silas for a moment before settling on me. "If you truly love the girl, surrender yourself and no one needs to die." 

No. 

We seize in our spot. Silas eyes flit to mine. His hard demeanor, the aggravation and rage all fall down, gaze softening. 

"No." I shake my head. 

His shoulders fall, a sad smile tugging on his face. "You undo me, Eleanor." 

Too many thoughts race in my mind, I take in sharp breaths. "You cannot- Silas- You cannot leave me." I rasp, stumbling over my words as tears glaze my eyes.

"On your knees, Golding." Hart taunts. 

"You wretch! He is not an animal." I cry, clocking my gun in a haze of rage. 

Gunfire blasts, bullets shooting in the air. "No!" Silas bellows, launching himself in front of me.

A loud thud sounds. 

I whip my head toward it, "Silas?" 

There, he lies. 

I stand, paralyzed. A thunderous wail tears through me, forcing me on my knees. 

Blood gushes from the bulletholes, blooming in his shirt, pooling on the ground. He takes sharp breaths, eyes wide, glaring into mine. 

Tears stream down my face uncontrollably as I scramble to hold him, sliding my hand under his head, cradling his neck. 

"Don't. Please don't. I won't let you." I grumble, every inch of me soaking in blood as I pull him closer. 

"You beautiful, stubborn woman." He says jaggedly, chest rising and falling rapidly, flashing a pained smile. 

"No!" I press my lips to his forehead, rocking back and forth as I push on his wounds with pressure in a pathetic attempt to stop the bleeding.

He shakes his head slowly, breath hitching. "Let me go." 

"Please." A groan rumbles deep inside me. "Please don't die." I urge, I plead, I beg, my grip tightening on his limp body. 

"How fortunate I am, to have had the privilege of loving you." He stammers, gritting his teeth, desperate to finish what he has to say. 

"You are my redemption, Eleanor." 

The words echoe in my brain. They stab at my heart. 

The brown eyes I had thought would always meet mine, freeze, faltering for a moment before dwindling shut. His chest rises once more as a final breath leaves his lips, kissing my cheek.

Still. 

Not a tremor, not a movement. 

His heart ceases.

And so does mine.