Chapter 45: Dinner With the Family

"Oh, Julie," Jimmy said. He put his one hand on my neck and slid it back into my hair. I grabbed his wrist. "You don't believe that, do you?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "No, of course not. I love you so much Jimmy. I don't want to leave this house."

"Are you sure? Maybe Emme put some ideas in your head."

"No. I promise that she didn't. You're my family. I never want to leave."

"Okay." Jimmy got up from his crouched position. He pulled his hands off me. "I better take a quick shower before they start wondering where we are. You should probably get cleaned up a bit too."

I nodded and I watched as we went into the bathroom. I know that Emme is going to be punished, but I hoped that there was not a punishment waiting for me. I was the one that made her shut up. I did not want to listen to her bad-mouthing the family.

I stepped into the bathroom while Jimmy was in the shower. I brushed the tangles out of my hair. I tied half of it back so that it was not so hot and heavy. I wanted to change out of this ugly dress, but Jimmy did not lay out anything else for me to wear.

I was back in the bedroom when Jimmy came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist. He put on a pair of jeans before digging through the bottom drawer. He pulled out a red dress shirt.

He was not saying a word to me, and I was worried that he was upset with me. He gets quiet when he's mad.

I walked to him and buttoned up his shirt. His eyes were locked on me as I did up each button until I got to his neck. I looked up at him to see that he was smiling. I got up on my toes and gave him a quick kiss.

"You're a good girl for not listening to Emme," he said. "When Tommy's girl comes she is going to say a lot of bad things about this family. I'm glad to know that you won't believe her."

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," he said. "Now, we better get downstairs."

I nodded and he laced his fingers through mine. We walked down the stairs to see that we were the first ones in the kitchen. Jimmy helped me put dinner on the table as we waited. Taylor was the next to come down.

I looked over my shoulder to see that he had on a white buttoned up shirt and was running his fingers through his short hair. My heart was pounding as Jimmy whispered something into Taylor's ear. I was positive that he was telling him everything I said. Taylor walked over to the bottom of the staircase.

"Emmie, hurry up!" he shouted.

Emme was soon running down the stairs. Her short curly hair was pinned back and he had on a striped dress. When she got to the bottom of the stairs, Taylor opened his arms and embraced her in a hug. Emme let out a faint laugh as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe he was not going to punish her.

He kissed her on the cheek and she came over and helped me finish putting dinner on the table.

Charles came down the stairs next. He had on a blue buttoned up shirt, and he had combed his thin greying hair. He smiled at the boys before sitting down at the head of the table.

Tommy was the last to come down. We were already sitting around the table and the food was ready to be served. He had on a pair of black jeans and a black shirt. His usual smirk was on his lips when he saw us.

"Always have to be the last one to arrive, Thomas?" Charles asked as Tommy pulled out his chair.

"It just took me a bit longer to get ready than the rest of you apparently," Tommy said. He had already reached out for the mashed potatoes and was piling them onto his plate.