Chapter 47: My Baby

The pain was intense. It would run up my stomach, and I would lean over in pain. At first, the contractions were not that painful and were far apart. As the hours ticked by at an agonizingly slow pace, the contractions became unbearable and closer together. My hips ached and the pain intensified as I leaned forward.

My jeans were soaked after my water broke, so I went upstairs and changed into an old sundress. If I was about to give birth, I think this would be the best thing to wear.

I spent the day curled up on the couch or on one of the dining room chairs. I kept looking out the window. I was praying that somebody would come inside early. I hoped Charles' knee was bothering him and he would come in. I hoped Jimmy would want to come in and check on me. I needed somebody now.

The pain became too much to handle. I went to our room and laid down on the bed. I curled my fingers into my scalp. I tried to control my breathing as another contraction overtook my body. My eyes were stinging with tears.

I was terrified that I was going to give birth alone in this house. I did not know when to push or how to cut the umbilical cord.

What if it was a girl? I would have to hold onto my baby girl for hours before Jimmy would come in and snap her neck. I would not be able to hold my child and know that she was waiting for death. I could already see myself holding onto her and screaming as Jimmy tried to take her away from me.

I could not believe my ears as I heard the kitchen door open.

"Jimmy!" I screamed.

I listened to him run up the stairs. I cradled my stomach with my arm and sat on the bed. His hair was tousled and his eyes were wide when he saw me.

"Julie." He ran over and kneeled next to the bed. He put his hand on my arm and was rubbing it. "What's wrong?"

"The baby is coming," I said.

His fingers curled into my arm. His jaw dropped and I watched as panic washed over his face.

"Okay," he said, getting up off his knee. He pressed his lips against my forehead. "Lean back on the bed and relax."

Jimmy stacked his pillow on top of mine. He was gentle as he put his hands on my shoulder and pushed me back.

"Don't worry," Jimmy said. He took a deep breath. I could tell that he was just as nervous as I was. "Just relax. I'll get Dad. He'll know what to do."

He turned on his heels before I had the chance to answer. I closed my eyes and tried to control my breathing. I could hear them running around downstairs. The baby would be here soon.

When I opened my eyes again, I felt the weight of somebody at the end of the bed. Charles was sitting there, with a stack of towels, and a textbook open beside him. His lips were curled into a wide smile.

"Time to bring my grandson into this world, Juliet," Charles said.

A nervous giggle escaped my lips. Jimmy came into the room with another stack of towels. What were they going to do with all of these towels?

Tommy strolled into the room behind him. It made me mad to see him so calm. He smirked and then winked at me. I let out a deep breath and dropped my head on the pillows. I knew that he was thinking about our conversation at the top of the stairs. He believed that after this I was going to leave Jimmy for him.

"Thomas, go up there and take care of Juliet," Charles said.

I muttered a curse under my breath. I would rather him be by my head rather than between my legs, but I wished that he was not in the room at all. I wanted Jimmy up here comforting me, but I had no choice.