Chapter 50: Carrie

Tommy was late coming down to breakfast. Jimmy and I did not sleep much because of Carrie and Hunter's screaming. I was scrubbing the dishes clean as Jimmy and Charles were talking at the table. I could hear them murmuring, but I could not understand what they were saying.

Tommy came down the stairs and we all stopped to stare at him. He went outside without saying a word to us. Charles got up and followed him. Jimmy walked over to me. He placed a finger under my chin and tilted my head up.

"Remember what I told you," he said. "I need you to help out Carrie. She needs to learn how to be as good as you."

"I'll try," I said.

"Don't do any chores today," he said. "I want you to make her feel safe here. Tommy has probably terrified her."

I don't know what was making Carrie scream all night, but I could not imagine that it would be good. I nodded.

"Good girl." Jimmy leaned down to kiss me. "I should probably get outside. I love you."

"I love you too," I said.

I turned around and continued to wash the dishes. Carrie's bowl of oatmeal was sitting on the counter. I doubt that she would have much of an appetite.

Her faint footsteps were wandering around upstairs. I put the last dish away as I heard the stairs creak. I picked Hunter up out of his crib.

Carrie's long hair was dangling down in her face. Her left eye was swollen shut, and her right eye was bloodshot. Faint purple bruises lined her throat.

"Good morning," I said, forcing a smile on my lips.

Carrie's eyes stayed on the floor.

"Sit down," I said. "I made breakfast."

Carrie pulled out a chair and sat. She took a quick look up at me and Hunter.

"Do you mind holding him for a minute?" I asked.

She gasped as I placed Hunter in her arms. I watched as she shifted Hunter's weight in her arms. Her lips lifted into a faint smile as she looked down at Hunter. I poured Carrie a glass of water and brought over the oatmeal to the table.

"What's his name?" she asked.

"Hunter," I said.

I set Carrie's food in front of her and picked up Hunter. I sat across the table from her. Carrie stirred the spoon around in her bowl of oatmeal.

"You should eat," I said.

It was odd to tell someone what to do. It had been a long time.

"I want to go home," Carrie said.

"This is your home," I said.

The sooner I could convince her this was her home, the sooner she would behave, and the sooner Tommy would like her. If he liked her enough he would probably forget his plan.

"Please," Carrie said. "I need to leave here."

"Why?" I asked.

"You don't know what Tommy did to me." Her voice cracked and I watched as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Her body shook as she sobbed. "He's going to kill me."

"No," I said.

I got up and put Hunter down in his crib. I hurried over to Carrie. I got onto my knees. I tucked my hair behind her ears and she sobbed even harder.

"Carrie, Tommy would never kill you," I said. "He loves you."

"No, he doesn't!" she screamed. "You're all sick!"