Classic Pt.1

Life always had its stressful factors that came from one source or another, but there was never a better stress reliever than gaming. A good game to play often times erased (y/n)'s worries and made things appear to be alright. Of course, there were times when something didn't go right that caused him to have the urge to yeet his game across the room, but we aren't going to talk about those times. We'll just pretend they don't happen.

        "Hey, are you even listening to me?" (Y/n)'s best friend had been talking to him. "Actually...nevermind. I doubt you heard a word I said," Ritsuka deadpanned when he noticed that (y/n)'s eyes were glued to his phone's screen.

        "I heard you." He was playing a mobe game called Fantasy Grind Order which sounded suspiciously familiar to some other game, but was actually something else entirely. I swear it. The two of them were waiting at the bus stop to catch a ride to the local arcade. "You're worried about someone beating your high scores again. You don't really have anything to worry about. Your luck is so insane that you get high scores in games that you aren't even good at. Whoever beats those crazy scores would have to be a literal legend...or me."

        Ritsuka laughed at him. "That isn't really true. I'm not that good."

        "Oh really? Then how do you manage to pull every five star on rate up whenever you throw knight crystals at the banners? Hm?"

        Ritsuka could only give him a nervous laugh in response. "Maybe five stars like me? I get a lot of three and four stars too, you know. It's not like I'm only getting five stars," he mumbled.

        "You are definitely not helping your case." (Y/n) shook his head in disappointment. "Like I said, you've got nothing to worry about."

        The two of them didn't have much longer to wait as the bus finally made an appearance. After a quick ride, they arrived at their destination ready to chill and potentially get even higher scores. They were regulars at the place. Both of them even had their own nicknames based on what they entered on the scoreboard to record their progress.

        "Let's start off with something simple," Ritsuka suggested.

        "Food? Cause I could definitely eat right about now..." His friend paused for a moment, at a loss for words. "What? I can just watch you play while I eat. Not a big deal, right?" (Y/n) held a thumbs-up in hopes that Ritsuka would agree.

        "I don't see why not, but if that was the case, why didn't you eat earlier?"

        "That doesn't matter. Onward. We have an arcade to re-conquer!' (Y/n) just liked the arcade food. It was actually not that bad at all. Plus, he and Ritsuka got discounts because they visited so often. Why wouldn't he take advantage of that?

        The first game that they went to was Space Invaders. A couple of kids had just left the space open for anyone to try their hand at fighting alien ships in what seemed like an intergalactic fighter jet. "Let's see if you can beat your own best," (y/n) commented as Ritsuka sat down to play.

        "I could probably beat yours," Ritsuka playfully suggested.

        "Not even in your dreams, my friend," (y/n) laughed.

        It was kind of scary how good Ritsuka was at the game. In the end, he did end up beating his own high score yet again, but there was a problem. "Huh? No way!" Ritsuka looked back at (y/n) who held a similar expression of shock.

        "Who the heck is Demon King of the Sixth Heaven?? And how did that even fit on the screen?!" (y/n) exclaimed.

        "What I want to know is how they beat both of our scores!" Ritsuka kept blinking at the screen.

        "It wasn't that hard, really. It's just a bunch of shooting." The voice had both the boys flinching and slowly turning around to see who had spoken. "What? I can beat it again if you don't believe me," the girl casually spoke with her hands stuffed into the pocket of her red hoodie that had the word "Buster" centered across it. (Y/n) stared at her for a moment, still reeling from the number he had seen on the screen.

        "You're the Demon King of the Sixth Heaven?" Ritsuka asked.

        The girl laughed loudly and proudly. "Of course I am! Who else could I possibly be?" She gave them a bright smile. It was almost as if the very room began to brighten.

        "Nice hat," (y/n) mumbled. He internally slapped himself for his lack of better words. That wasn't what he had intended to say about her. It was her actual name that he wanted to know.

        Regardless, the girl took his compliment well. "Thanks, you've got good taste."

        "Well, it's nice to meet you...um...?" Ritsuka bravely asked. (Y/n) had half the mind to thank him for the save later.

        "Call me Nobu. Nice to meet ya." It was almost captivating how happy she seemed just standing there and introducing herself.

        "I'm Ritsuka and this is (y/n). You must be new to this arcade," Ritsuka noticed.

        "Hm? No, I come here every now and then." Nobu suddenly smirked at them. "Why do you ask? Are you really so surprised that someone went and beat your high score? You're welcome to take the number one spot again. If you can, that is."

        "You're really good at this," (y/n) noted with a gesture towards the game. "What else do you play?"

        "Just the usual. Pac-man, Street Fighter, stuff like that. The real fun isn't here though. The best game you can ever play is Lazer Tag. That right there is truly the best!"

        "Oh? Is that so? I think I could probably win." (Y/n) began to sip his drink again with a smug look aimed at Nobu. "You said shooting is easy, right? I'll believe it when I see it."

        "Fine then. This time, next week. I'll burn you to a crisp. You'll truly know the name Demon King of the Sixth Heaven!" Nobu said without missing a beat.

        "Wait huh?" (Y/n) hadn't expected her to accept his challenge so quickly. And she even set the date and time already!

        "Too late to back out now. Unless of course you want to forfeit. I'll accept the crown without complaint." Her taunting voice was quite the charmer for some reason.

        "No way! We'll be there. You better be ready yourself. I don't want to hear any excuses when I beat you," (y/n) shot back.

        "We???" Ritsuka looked at him like he had gone crazy.

        "Then I'll see you there!" Nobu held a fist out to him which he tapped with his own fist without even thinking. The girl promptly turned to leave afterwards.

        "Wait, where are you going? There's plenty of games around here that I can beat you in while you wait for your defeat in lazer tag," (y/n) called. Nobu whipped around with a sort of fire in her eyes.

        "Is that so? Ever heard of Double Dragon?"

        "Can't say that I have." (Y/n) looked to Ritsuka for a clue, but it seemed like he didn't know either.

        Nobu let free another proud laugh. "Well you're about to find out! Let's go!"
____________________________________

Part two coming soon. Until next time you epic readers!