Highlight of Life

It wasn't unusual for either (y/n) or Nobu to wake up early to make breakfast. Somehow, it had become a competition between them to see who would make breakfast first, but overtime they simply started taking turns. If one of them was particularly tired that morning, they'd just have something simple and be on their way. Either way, breakfast had become an important thing to both of them.

        That's why when (y/n) awoke to the smell of something that wasn't quite food, he was slightly panicked. He realized with even a bit more dread that Nobu wasn't still asleep next to him which meant she was the one in the kitchen currently.

        As quick as someone half asleep could move, (y/n) got out of bed and hurried to the kitchen. He was greeted by smoke and remembered that the fire alarm wasn't going to go off. Whenever Nobu got overwhelmed with any emotion in general, her hair would produce flames due to her current spirit origin giving her the classification of berserker. The flames never really burned her at all, but sometimes the faint smoke it produced caused the fire alarm to screech at them. For the sake of his own ears, (y/n) had taken the batteries out of all of them.

        Nobu could be heard throwing curses at the smoke that she battled. By the time (y/n) got to the kitchen, a fair amount of the smoke had cleared, but it was still a bit difficult to breathe. He swatted his hand across the air and coughed.

        It only took a quick moment for (y/n) to use a little magic to rid the kitchen of smoke. He found Nobu standing in front of the stove with a disappointed look on her face. He couldn't even blame her for being upset. She was usually pretty great with controlling the heat in the kitchen. He almost felt bad that he didn't get up to make breakfast himself, but it wasn't his turn and Nobu didn't like when he took her turn to cook. She quite literally got heated and the ends of her hair would catch on fire.

        "Are you okay in here?" he asked her to break the silence that had settled in place of the smoke.

        Nobu glanced at him and back at the aftermath of the accident she had caused. She gave a deep sigh and crossed her arms with a slight scowl.

        "I'm fine." She sounded dejected. "I'll handle this mess. You can go back to sleep."

        "I can't just leave you in here by you're to fix all this on your own." He left out the part where he thought there was a possibility of her making things worse given her history of shenanigans. Most times he was able to safely leave her by herself, but he was a bit worried this time. It had been a while since she had caused anything like this.

        "I said I'll handle it. My problem, I'll fix it." (Y/n) caught her by the arm before she could walk past him.

        "Hey, you know you can talk to me. What happened in here? I know you're upset."

        Nobu frowned but stepped towards him to hug him without a word. In all honesty, he had a pretty good idea of why she was so upset. Afterall, today was a special day for him. For Nobu to have gotten up earlier than usual, he could guess that she likely tried to surprise him.

        "I forgot today was your birthday," she finally spoke.

        "Oh...that's not what I thought." He stopped himself. "I mean, it's fine. You don't have to worry about that. It's only first thing in the morning and you already remembered. No worries, right?"

        Nobu shook her head and hugged him a bit tighter. She was clearly still quite upset about it. "It's not okay. I was supposed to get you a gift and there was supposed to be a dinner reservation and all that grand stuff. But...I accidentally thought your birthday was tomorrow, so now the reservation is still set for tomorrow and your gift won't get here until later this afternoon. I even accidentally set breakfast on fire when I realized my mistake."

        Her frowning had turned into a fading pout as she calmed down. Talking things out seemed to help her feel better.

        "Nobu, it's okay. You don't have to worry about it. We can still do everything you wanted tomorrow. Nothing is ruined. Well uh, other than breakfast, but even that can be fixed." (Y/n) reached a hand to run through her hair. He was careful to watch for the signs of flames just in case her hair caught fire again.

        Nobu sighed. She finally let go of him after they stood there for a moment. Although she felt better, (y/n) could tell that she was still feeling down about the whole situation.

        "Do you want to cook together after we clean up this mess? It's been a while since we've both cooked at the same time." He could tell that she was about to protest. "It'll be fun, I promise. Just let me help."

        Nobu let out a slight sigh and nodded. (Y/n) helped her clean away the aftermath of the small kitchen fire with the help of a few mage tricks of his own. As they successfully reversed the damage and started fresh on breakfast, Nobu's mood returned to normal. By the time they had completed that morning's second breakfast attempt, she was slightly smiling.

        "Thanks for waking up early to cook breakfast for me, Nobu."

        She shot him a slight frown but didn't reject the compliment outright. "Thanks...but you helped. And it was my turn anyway, so it'sreally no big deal. The real surprise was supposed to be much cooler."

        "That doesn't make it any less meaningful. It was the thought that counts, or at least I think that's how that saying goes." (Y/n) shrugs and walks up behind Nobu before pulling her into a hug, preventing either of them from fixing a plate. "But you really didn't have to do anything special. I already have you and I'd say I'm pretty happy with just that at the moment."

        He felt her hair tickling his face as Nobu stood there enjoying the unprovoked affection. As much as he loved her attempts to make each and every one of his birthdays more memorable than the previous one, he didn't want her to feel like she failed if things didn't turn out perfectly.

        "You already got me as a gift before. That doesn't count," she mumbled, but she didn't bother moving out of his hold just yet. "I'm going to make sure that today still turns out better than last year. It's going to be the highlight of your entire life!"

        "I can think of a better highlight right here." (Y/n) hugged her just a bit tighter to prove his point. "The food's going to get cold if I just hold you all day though. Let's go ahead and eat. Then we can spend the day however we feel like it. No matter how it turns out in the end, it's already a good day for me."
____________________________________

I feel like doing some more chill oneshots, but we'll see. Until next time you cool readers!