28.

"There are races at night, too."

They were standing in front of the Big Banyan, where the Kijimunas had chosen to be their meetup place instead of building a Dojo. Usual housing structures tended to make them uncomfortable and dehydrated - they would much prefer the soft, wet ground with airy roofing, so this natural environment itself was perfect. There was a Kijimuna-sized hole on the bark, covered by a nice wooden door. Kitsune opened it to reveal the hollow inner.

"While it's true that the main beach will soon be unusable because of the nightly tides, the Kijimunas had lived long enough to conjure just enough magic to tide-proof another running track. Forest magic - the same thing that they had used to make the Checker Marks for Marathon, but this is on a whole new level, one that rivals the power of the kamis to defy nature, so they had to do it in the most ancient parts of the grove where they are strongest, where the roots reach all the way into the sea among the sand. So it turned out not just a Nighttime Race, it became the hardest race yet! With giant crabs crawling among the roots, octopuses in camouflage, and uneven ground. As time goes by, the length of the race also grew greater as the forest grew denser, and by now it's about threefold the normal race," Kitsune introduced.

"Will Kou be there?"

"No. And not because he's the current Champion. It's because he's at a young age - well, older than I am, but younger than most, so he feels sleepy once the night falls. Most of the Kijimunas at the Nighttime Race are old ones, who would prefer running with the moon than the sun, and have the endless motivation to hold continuous races. They take turns, of course, and they're formidable competitors because they know the area much better than any of us do, having grown up with it."

"Wow..."

"You're not disappointed at all that you're not gonna compete against the Champion?"

"Why should I be?" Lucky tilted her head.

The fox had no answer to this. Kitsune didn't know how to explain to a girl who was eager for anything how the majority of creatures would rather not waste any of their precious seven days here not conquering the Champions, and would rather spend the night sleeping for the next day instead of wandering, talking about magic.

"Nevermind that."

They entered the Big Banyan.

It was supposed to be dark inside at this time of the day, yet luminous mushrooms growing on its walls had lit the space like candles all the way to the high ceiling weaved from branches. They gave all sorts of colors - white, pink, purple, yellow, blue, but the most common shade was sunlight-orange. The grass under their feet caught those lights in them, glowing gently, as if they were walking in a dream. Dodder vines made a silky curtain overhead, and they, too, reflected light like an aurora. Random shadows scattered on the ground added to the fantasy-like view. The very tree seemed more alive in this natural fluorescence.

The inner of the Big Banyan was as big as any Dojos, and it was cozy, community-house-style. But at that time there was no gathering, but the echoes of a quarrel rang loudly in the large, empty space.

"I was first!"

"No, I was! My toe was over the line!"

"But my nose was already in front!"

"We aren't going to the secret beach until you admit I won fair and square."

"You'll be waiting a long time, buddy. I'm not moving until you say I won!"

"I'm not moving until YOU say I won!"

By the supposed doorway to the Nighttime Race beach, two old Kijimunas were fighting, blocking the way. Like all Kijimunas, they had short necks and short stubby limbs with round faces. Their hair was shoulder-length and looked more soft than bushy unlike Kou's, and part of it was held up like brushes by rubber bands. They also wore bandanas and running shirts which were still wet from the sweat of a race.