34. (Interval of Ages)

Warau Oni Realm, on Oni Island

The match was exciting, worthy of all it took Hiro the Locksmith away from his workshop to stand referee in place for their usual guy who just went missing, Karasu Wataru, as both were known to have unbiased mindsets. Morgan, an Advanced Member of Team Yellow, and Vanille, one of Team Green, together with Ushi Aoki and Karasu Hiroshi, the esteemed born members of their respective teams, were a phenomenon. Nobody could expect such a combination, nor could they predict the amount of splendor their performance in the game would show. Aoki, despite Calvin's claim that Ushis couldn't come across the fiery Oni Island due to their water-powered nature, seemed to be very energized. In fact, belonging to a breed of Oni herself, Aoki was bound to be powered in the Oni Realm. The fire-wielding Hiroshi was also in a good mood. The heat was advantageous for him. Unlike the poker faces most Karasus put on, Hiroshi looked eager, at least in the eyes. His fire crown was burning bright, and combined with Aoki's water, they created steam veils that could confuse the Onis. Even Hiro with his keen eyes of a blacksmith spotting stains and chips of a metalwork could hardly tell when the ball was passed.

The badger, Morgan, was obviously born for the sport. After all, he was always the brawler type, who'd push his way through things by force before anything else. In those games that needed delicacy, such as Dancing, he struggled greatly and won merely thanks to pairing up with Vanille. But here, he roamed. With his fearless battle cries and the guts to dive head-on into the rampaging demons, Morgan was the spearpoint of the team. It was as if he was making suicide moves, but it was simply a trait unique to his kind - honey badgers - who possessed the strength and bravery to wrestle even lions. Vanille, however, was having a hard time. The heat was getting to her sensitive rabbit system. Despite that, she still tried her best to keep up with everyone's paces. She got to hold the ball in the rocky area, where instead of running, she made powerful bounces over the boulders.

Hiroshi was the one to seal off the match. Spreading his wings, although through the thousand years of evolution they had changed less for flying and more for holding books, he glided through the air and entered the green patch on the other side of the ground. Hiro blew the whistle, drowning out the disappointed complaints from the young Onis, who had been chanting their intimidating song the whole time. All four athletes were granted their scrolls and treats. Vanille had to lean onto Morgan for support. Aoki ate all of her dangos in one bite, while Hiroshi slowly munched on the food.

"Can't believe we actually won a match together, huh?" Hiroshi commented, "Thanks, you two," he addressed Vanille and Morgan, "You gave us a reason to team up."

"No prob!" Morgan said airily, "You guys are awesome, you know that? Glad we formed a team."

"Says who?" Hiroshi questioned jokingly, "Please remind me, who was the one who dive-bombed straight at an Oni's stomping way again?"

"Alright, you know what? Now I've gotta rethink about you Karasus. Where has the stern impression gone?" the badger laughed.

"Oh, you can think that is what makes Shi-shi, him!" Aoki smiled innocently while the crow glared at her for saying the embarrassing nickname, "I've met some others. They weren't very friendly to me. No offense, but most of the Big Four family members are rather conservative, including my own. Kai - that's our mascot's name, by the way - told us you've met some of the Ushi construction workers who are too soft to even dare to step foot out of the city! Oh lord, what a shame."

"Yeah, I thought it was bizarre that a huge Ushi just said that leaving the city was scary as if it was common sense," Vanille admitted, "I mean, sure, I won't judge a book by its cover, but he was this kind of beefy, muscular, 'I lift tons' kind of creature, plus that Team Blue is about strength."