36. (Sky, Flowers, and Life)

"Are you ready?" Ungyo asked. The darker Komainu, whose face bore a fierce expression and his jaws always gritted, symbolized the ending. Made from the wishes of the Legendary Champions, he and his friend were neither yokai nor spirits. They were... something in between. Granted with the power to supervise all activities on Champion Island, they were divine.

"I'm all set!" Lucky smiled in return. She was standing in the middle of Central Square. Three days ago, she was selecting her team and was assigned her first, most long-running task - to defeat the Champion, and now, she returned victoriously as the first creature to actually complete it.

The Team Leaders: Karasu Omokane, Ushi Tsunami, Inari Kaguya, and Kappa Kodama, were standing by their respective posts at the corners of the Square, while the Champions gathered by its south. Creatures of all kinds, young and old, from all areas on the island, crowded the hill all the way beyond its foot, almost treading over the Trophy House, where Momo and Crane had climbed onto the rooftop. They, too, much like the islanders, wouldn't miss this event for the world.

Ungyo dropped his crystal to the ground. It bounced once, clanking loudly due to its weight; twice, its noise echoed in completely still air. Everyone held their breath and even their heartbeat as the gemstone bounced a third time before bursting open, emitting a blue light that soon solidified and took the form of a wooden case the size of a chessboard, floating just in Lucky's reach.

In utter silence, Ungyo nodded. Understanding his signal, Lucky pulled out her seven scrolls and began placing them onto the case, one by one, slowly.

Clack.

The first scroll, won against Tengu in her first-ever challenge and first-ever victory after minutes that had seemed to last forever of hitting light-weigh ping-pong balls against his winds, commemorated the first time she had to actually use her full power. No, more than that, she was pushing her boundaries ever since that because she had victory in mind. The fire inside her heart had been fueled by determination and she had felt like she could touch the spirits that lay dormant even in the most unanimated objects.

It was an amazing first step.

Clack.

The second scroll, won against Tanooki in an extraordinary showdown. Seeking him in the city had been fun, and so had been performing in front of such a crowd. She had felt nervous, yes, but it all summed up to excitement. The wind rushing by her ears, the idle rumbling of the concrete ground beneath the wheels making her feet a little numb - in a nice way, the weightlessness whenever she did a stunt, Haru's and Kota's voices waking the spectators, she had never felt more alive in her life.

Certainly, tripping and falling was far from enjoyable, but the cheering never ceased - she felt warm and supported and hopped back up on her feet.

Clack.

The third scroll, won against Otohime in a sport she barely knew, in the most disadvantageous stage she could've been given. Lucky wasn't the best at dancing and knew next to nothing about dance moves, plus her dislike of water called for her to water-proof herself for the entire span of the contest. Still, it was very rewarding. Princess Otohime was kind and was able to recognize her sense of rhythm. Only for that cause, she was allowed victory.

Clack.

The fourth scroll was won against the Onis. Lucky could feel her heartbeat accelerating all over again, reminiscing the intense match. The ground shook and the red sky about to fall down on her head to every footstep of an Oni, and lava bubbled dangerously around, awaiting for only one fall step to swallow her whole. She had joined Momotaro's team on that occasion, after helping the members call for their captain for the match and enjoying juicy peaches with them. Teamworking with Momotaro was nothing like before. He was human - a fellow so-called mortal that was just like her, acquired powers deemed unobtainable for their kind. She did overwork herself with that one last burst of speed though. Even for the sake of winning, Lucky reminded herself not to push herself to the point of almost fainting after a match like that.