35. (No Matter What)

Lucky stood at the foot of the mountain, determined. Celeen von Schwartz glanced at her worriedly, but the look in her eyes seemed even fiercer than the howling cold winds of the owl god.

~

"So, you don't really know how to dance? Then how on earth did you win Otohime's scroll??" Aoki laughed for the umpteenth time.

"Cut it out! I told you, I was just trying to perform my best in front of everyone. Princess Otohime told me to enjoy myself and I did," Lucky playfully shoved Aoki aside. The cat seemed to have found herself another friend in the bull.

"Same goes to you, wacky-dancer-san," Aoki eyed Morgan, who clicked his tongue in response, even though he was also laughing:

"Must I like, what? Swing my hips and doing pirouettes? Spare me."

"Oh please. I am thankful that you're at least not tone-deaf, though I admit, it was quite surprising to know that you still have a sense of rhythm and can move accordingly."

"Say for yourself," Morgan retorted.

"You guys are talking as if you have to wear metal armor into a dance or something," Lucky rolled her eyes, "Morgan even conquered the Turtle Sisters' Challenge, and that one was much faster than the main game."

"Well, now I'd like to see you two waltz in Princess Otohime's ball dance," Aoki had a victorious grin on her face that Lucky and Morgan were actually nervous about what was to come. Thankfully, Otohime came to the rescue:

"Aoki, need I remind you how your first dance went?"

"No thanks, Princess," Aoki quickly said.

"But now I'm curious..." Lucky whined.

"Relax, all of you," Otohime chuckled, "I know you'll do just fine. This ball is for enjoying yourself, no pressure. Besides, when I say you're a qualified dancer, you're a qualified dancer. Kamis don't lie."

Behind the water princess and the frolicking trio, Vanille heaved an exasperated sign.

"I can only imagine chaos if those three are to hang out one day."

"You're not alone," Hiroshi agreed, "One Aokyun is already giving me a headache. I don't think I can take three."

"Yet the chaotic energy they share promises a pack of fun, fufufu~" Kitsune said, accompanied by her iconic laugh.

"If by fun you mean stealth entering people's houses then I guess you can put it like that."

"Awww, why so blunt, Hiroshi? With all honesty though, I wouldn't volunteer to babysit them. Watching their mess from afar is much better than cleaning after them," the fox giggled, "To the extent of fun only and no harm done afterward, of course. Anywho, I can't think of those three actually going overboard."

"For your information, they could," Vanille shook her head, "Who knows what that mind of his can come up with? The mere fact that it was he who managed to somehow blow up a steam engine that had been sustaining heat for generations of students at our college is staggering," she said, regarding Morgan, "And knowing that Lucky and Aoki share his wavelength..."

"Let's not dive too much on that, Vanille," Momo softly spoke up. Lucky had invited her to the dance as well. Despite being considered a rightful resident of Champion Island, the black cat had never once joined in such occasion and was therefore glad to come. Otohime, too, seemed happy with her guests. Unlike how she would address her challengers as a princess to warriors of honor, Otohime politely regarded Momo as 'Trophy Master', putting them on the same status.