Chapter 4: A song to help him sleep

It's been two weeks after the supposed attack of the demons. Xiao was on watch during that time, staying hidden, keeping an eye on that path. He was starting to believe the males must've been seeing things. He spotted no demons. But people going about the path. There was one thing he noticed however, a certain pair that did seem to frequent the road. A female that was always cloaked with a boy that had short purple hair. What more got his attention was the fact the female seemed to be aware of his presence. Everytime she passed by she would glance at his direction. Even though he was very well hidden, no matter where he choose to hide, without fail everytime she passed by she would glance at his direction.

He was intrigued. A mortal human like her seemed to be aware of his presence. It got to the point he was looking forward to seeing her. Hiding in places he thought she wouldn't notice but of course got found. Like today, he was well hidden and waited for her to pass by. He did wonder why she was always covered up. He's only seen her eyes. Was she trying to hide herself? Did someone hurt her and she was hiding injuries.

His eyes narrowed at the thought as he gripped his weapon. The thought someone putting a hand on her angered him. He quickly shook his head calming himself. He caught himself lost in thought about her as of late. He looked at the path again. She wasnt coming. Thoughts started to flood in again as a voice in the back of his head yelled out she must be in danger, what if there was a demon afterall and got you. Immediately getting up he took off following the path in hopes of running into her. He wasn't sure why he was suddenly rushing to find her, but he felt he needed the reassurance she is ok.

He rushed over for nothing. Hidden well he watched her tending to some flowers as the boy was swinging around a sword. It appeared he was practicing. Now that he saw you were ok he felt himself relieved, yet he stayed put watching over you.

*

You paused. You felt that feeling again. You got up and looked at a direction. For a split second you spotted two golden eyes lock onto yours.

Kunikuzushi noticed your sudden pause as he looked to see what you were staring at. Seeing nothing he went to you concerned. "Mom? What's wrong?" He asked as felt you grab his hand and quickly take him inside as he saw you quickly closed the door. "What's wrong mom?" He asked concerned.

"We were being watched." You said alarmed. You felt a small fear. For days you felt that and now you felt it here. "We should leave this place" you told Kunikuzushi. "How about going to the nation over?" You asked happy. "I hear it full of open fields and forests."

"As long mom with me." Kunikuzushi said as he hugged you happy. "I'm ok"

"Aw your so cute!" You said happy hugging him back. "Alright then let's get ready. We will leave tomorrow how's that sound?"

"Ok" he said happy.

*

He did it. He locked eyes with you. It was only for a second before she took the child who called her mom into the home. You looked scared. But why? He won't hurt mortals. He got up as he heard his master calling for him. So he left back to go to his lord.

*

You were brushing your hair getting ready for bed. Putting it in a braid you finished and got up ready for bed. You pulled the blanket back to see Kunikuzushi in your bed already settled in asleep. You awed silently seeing his peaceful face. You got into bed doing your best to not wake him . After covering the both of you, you turned to turn off the lamp then turned again to face your son.

You hugged him close to you gently. "Goodnight son" you said gently.

"Night mom" you hear him reply sleepy as you two slept.