Six. crestfallen on the landing

VI.   crestfallen on the landing

warning:mentions of drug and alcohol abuse

warning:
mentions of drug and alcohol abuse

      Bridger was fucked in head. He knew that and it affected his life greatly. His father was an unfaithful alcoholic and his mom was dead. He was a mama's boy through and through which is why when Jana Fitzgerald died of lung cancer, Bridger's whole world flipped. His father's addiction worsened and his attention decreased. Suddenly, he was being left a home for long periods of time to suffer alone in the glass castle he lived in. Nobody knew the occurrences that took place in the Fitzgerald home and God, he hoped nobody ever found out.

Drugs and alcohol were the only things that brought back any feeling inside him. They made him feel alive in the worst possible way but it was something. He had been feeling numb for so long. He wanted to feel the pain because it was better than feeling nothing at all.

Rafe was the only person who ever actually seen Bridger at his lowest. He was there to listen to the boy's deep rants about his father and how much he missed his mother. Bridger was his brother. Rafe loved him like a brother but he didn't know how to help him in the way he needed which is why drugs were the only solution because he, too, turned to the hard substances when things in his life were hard. In reality, Rafe was just as fucked in the head as he was.

Bridger knew about all the shit in his life like his daddy issues and his substance abuse, along with stealing money from his parents and pawning it off. But nothing was worse than the deep rooted jealousy he felt towards Sarah. She was the golden child and Rafe was left to the dust.

They relied on each other when really they were just fucking each other up even more.

After the encounter with JJ, Bridger didn't go home. He went to the beach and sat on the shore, smoking a cigarette. He contemplated walking into the water and continuing until his head was submerged under the ocean. He envisioned himself floating and the water filling up his ears. He saw himself sinking to the bottom and never coming back up. He thought drowning would finally relieve him of the pain he was feeling. Nobody would miss him. They probably wouldn't even notice he was gone. It would take them days, maybe weeks to find him and by then, he would probably be eaten away by the fish.

Yeah, he was fucked in the head.

Instead, he sat on the beach till the sun started peaking through above the horizon line. He didn't realize how long he had been out there.

"Did you hear that someone sank Topper's boat?" Inez asked as the two of them walked down the streets of the cut.

"Someone what?" Bridger asked in shock. 

She nodded. "Yeah, his mom is big time pissed. I would be too. That boat was expensive!"

"Huh," he muttered and shook his head. "Who do you think done it?"