Thirty Four. now that we don't talk

XXXIV.   now that we don't talk

      Since he found out that Sarah was still alive, school wasn't as unbearable to attend

      Since he found out that Sarah was still alive, school wasn't as unbearable to attend. Yeah, he was still annoyed by the constant eyes he was getting every time he walked down the hallway but he was getting better at ignoring them. Bridger stood by his locker getting his books when he felt someone walk up to him. "Hey, Bridge."

He looked up to see it was Topper. His face subtly fell. "Topper." He said back, his voice tough.

It was the first time they talked since the fight that broke out at the restaurant. Their first real conversation since Midsummer. Bridger swallowed harshly, finding it hard to look him in the eye.

Topper looked uncomfortable as well. "Uh," he started to say and then paused, his hand tightening around the strap of his bag. "I, uh, don't really know what to say."

"Then don't say anything. Just leave." Bridger snapped and slammed his locker shut.

Topper flinched. "I-I've been trying to figure out how to talk to you. I'm sorry about the other day—"

"Screw your apology." He sneered and walked away.

"I lost her too."

He stopped. His hands clenched into fists.

"I know you're angry at me. You have every right to be. But you're not the only one hurting, Bridge. I loved her." Topper continued, the words he'd been wanting to say flowing out.

Bridger closed his eyes for the quick second. He sucked in a deep breath then exhaled through his nose. He turned back around and faced him. "You betrayed me."

"I'm sorry."

"We were friends."

"I still want us to be."

"Why?" He questioned and took a step closer to him. "Cause Sarah's dead? She's gone and now you feel guilty so you wanna make amends?" His got angrier as he spoke. "News flash, Top, you're not a good guy. You slut shamed her. You beat the shit out of Pope. You almost killed John B. You turned your back on me when I needed my friends the most."

"I know. I know! I'm sorry." Topper quickly said, his voice going high. "I just. . . I'm sorry."

Bridger and Topper met in ninth grade they were on the golf team at school. He only played for like a year but they were also the only freshman on the team, which meant they were closer than anyone else. Topper was popular. He was funny. A nice guy. Had a good family. Their friendship developed the more times they hung out and by the time they were sixteen, they were pretty much inseparable. It was him, Topper, and Rafe. It was always the three of them.

But things started to change when Rafe's attitude got worse. When his drinking and drug addiction got worse. Suddenly, he was begging the younger boys to do it with him. To get high. Get plastered. They were sixteen years old. Of course they said yes. But Topper'd ability to say no was worse than Bridger's. He was easily influenced. Whatever his Kook friends said to do, Topper did it because he thought it made him cooler. And maybe it did. But then Rafe started hurting people. That's when Sarah had enough. When Bridger had enough.