Lassitude

Inspired by 'la solassitude' by Stromae
Video above

****

<warnings>

<Angst>

****

Lassitude

/ˈlasɪtjuːd/

A state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy.

----

At the start of their relationship no one would have expected for things to turn out the way they did. It had been about 8 year since the got together. Everyone expected them to get married at this point, but the two of them could feel the drift. They still loved each other, it's what they told themselves everyday. They slept in the same bed, lived in the same house, saw each other everyday, but things felt dry and distant.

Repetitive and mundane.

Marinette would go off to work, and he would do the same. They would talk to each other but neither of them could relate, damian would get irritated with her and she would as well, they were both tired.

It seemed as though the longer they spent their lives together, the more the relationship was draining them emotionally and physically.

They both knew so.

But damian didn't want to let go of her.

He spent each day in fear, he didn't want to go on living as such but every time he thought about her potentially getting a lover, or moving on with her life, it made him grab on to her, letting her leach off him and he did her.

he asked himself if she would still feel attracted to him if they sat down in each others presence like they used to when they were still young. it just made him tired, tired of the relationship, he couldn't give any form of energy to it anymore, he didn't have any left.

Her presence comforted him even though he knew it was bad for the both of them. he leached off her attention, the sole fact that she was 'his'. he wouldn't ever let anyone else get her. so when she left him, he didn't know what to do with himself. He knew one day, one of them would leave, they would realise that their relationship was toxic and move on, he just didn't think about how much it would hurt.

he knew he should have felt relief, he should have been glad that their parasitic relationship was over, but a strong sense of solitude and isolation took him by surprise.

Damian couldn't understand how she had just left him, he thought it over and over, what had pushed her just that extra mile to make her realise. after 8 years, how could she just leave him? abandoned him like all those years were all nothing?

he would wake up every morning, looking to the side of the bed. he would think of her figure, curled up to the neck in their blankets, he always did wake up before her, he would stay in bed though, act as though he was sleeping.

he would shorten the gap between the two of them and stay there with her inside his arms, but now he would spend hours looking at the empty space beside him, his white sheets and blankets curled up, mocking him.

they still smelt of her. he knew he should've thrown them away, gotten new fresh ones. he couldn't though, every time he tried he felt tired, a wave of sadness taking him over, drowning him.

he was nearly 30, he knew his life wasn't over, but he spent a majority of his adult life in a relationship, he didn't know how to function out of one.