Chapter 10

I sigh when I see the pile of papers on my desk, I've been here since last night

I sigh when I see the pile of papers on my desk, I've been here since last night. I turn my head to my watch to see the time and see the hands meeting at 12 am. And here is the summary of my last six years, my whole life revolves around work because I need to occupy my mind of the thoughts of her.

My company has grown a lot in recent years, it is part of the richest companies in America. After the betrayal of my ex-wife, I devoted all the hours of my life to work and going to the gym. The beginnings of the company were not as successful and I was forced to associate with some shady people to be able to repay the loan from the bank, during the years I bonded with them and now I am respected in the community.

After the divorce with Selena, I tried to find her, but she had disappeared, when I returned home she is no longer there and some of her belongings are still with me. She betrayed me, lied in the eye for months, cheated on me, and didn't even take responsibility for what she did. I've loved her since high school, we got married, I saw myself the rest of my life with her and she ruined everything.

Years passed and my thoughts were still about her until I met Yolanda at an event for work. She approached me and I'm not going to lie the only thing that interested me was her body; we can say it was a sleepless night for both of us. She kept coming to satisfy me until she became my fiancée, I proposed because I felt the need to forget Selena and move on.

I sigh and start gathering my things to go home. I head to the elevator in front of my employees and enter it. The elevator goes down the 14 floors of my building and I go out when the doors open. I get into my sports car and drive home.

I open the door of the house, go up to the bedroom and see Yolanda surrounded by clothes and shoes. "What's going on?" She turns to me, "Are you serious? Have you forgotten? Tonight there is the gala of Durand company!" I grumble when the memory comes back to my mind "yes I forgot! I'm going to shower." After showering, I put on my suit and get out of the bathroom. "Wow baby, you're so sexy" Yolanda whispers to me before approaching and placing her hand in my pants. "Stop this Yolanda!" she withdraws her hand, rolls her eyes, and puts her interest back on her clothes.

I know Yolanda is with me for my money and she knows I'm with her to forget Selena. Yolanda is a materialistic, narcissistic, and boring girl but she is the only woman who leaves me alone when I need it.

After several hours Yolanda has finally decided which dresses to wear, and we are finally ready to go to the gala. We're in the car and Yolanda can't stop talking about her modeling dramas. We get out of the car when it stops in front of one of the most luxurious hotels in New York.

We enter the building hand in hand to pretend to be the happy couple that we are not. We enter the room full of future investors talking, drinking, and dancing. I see Marc Durand in the distance and decide to go talk to him to work together in the future.

"wait for me here" I say to Yolanda and walk to Mr. Durand. "Hello, I'm Dante Hernandez from 'Hernandez's & Co'" I held out my hand and he squeezed it tightly with an amused look "I know you are. And what do you want? "I'm confused about the attitude he has but I've always heard that he's tough on business. "I've heard you want to expand more in America and my tech company is a good start, don't you think?!" he smiles at me and taps my shoulder "non I don't think so but thank you for the offer, Good evening!" then he turns and walks away.

Before my brain records the conversation I just had, Luke and Stella are already next to me. "Why this head?"Luke side-hug me while Stella keeps her distance and rolls her eyes. Stella is Selena's best friend so obviously, I don't like her and she doesn't love me. When Luke told me he was dating her, I found it annoying but if he's happy I don't care who he's with.

"Hello to you too Stella" she behaves like a child, the whole story with Selena is not even her business. "Where is Yolanda?" Luke asks to change the subject "I don't know probably near the bar" and the conversation is cut off by Mr. Durand with a girl approaching, he hugs Luke and Stella and tells them to babysit the little girl while he talks with associates.

"Uncle Lulu, the doll you and Auntie Stella bought me is already broken, sorry," the little girl said to Luke while being in Stella's arms. There's something strange here, I feel like I know her or recognize her?! But maybe it's nothing just a feeling. "Who is this? And really Uncle Lulu?" I ask Luke confused, from what I know Stella has no siblings so who is this girl.

"I'm Lilah and I'm the only one who has the right to call him Uncle Lulu!" The girl answers me with her big hazel eyes and furrowed eyebrows to show me that she is upset. I look at her and then look at Luke who watches the conversation with an amused look. "She's the daughter of long-time friends so I'm like her uncle"

"I am Dante!" I shake her little hand and she smiles at me and I smile at her, seeing Lilah I can't help but think of Selena, if she hadn't cheated on me we would have had children who would look like Lilah with hazel eyes, my nose and black hair. "You have the same name as my Da-" Stella puts her hand in front of Lilah's mouth and gives Luke a stressed look.

"Okay, Lilah let's go see the musicians" and without saying anything else they walk towards the stage in the distance. I head to the bathroom to run water over my face to lower my stress because too much has happened in the last hour.

I was about to open the door when it opens on the other side and hits hard directly on my face. I hissed a curse in Spanish and puts my hands on my face to smooth the pain. The door opens again but more gently, hands still on my forehead which seems to bleed. The only thing I see is the body and dress of the woman who opened the door, she comes out of the bathroom like a goddess with her perfect body, her smell that drives me crazy, everything about her is captivating and we do not even know each other, I wanted her and I need her...

After microseconds to observe each other, she ended up whispering a simple 'sorry' and in my head, it clicked, I know this voice .... it's Selena, I was about to talk to her but when I raised my head she was already gone.

I return to the room where the gala takes place to see her on the scene next to Mr. Durand. The confusion invades me .. What does she do on stage? How does she know Marc Durand? Is she Mr. Durand's girlfriend? He could be her father it's disgusting...

« I am happy to announce that after decades of work, I am retiring and I have decided to pass my position as Director and CEO to my friend and daughter Selena Smith" The applause rings in the room. Mr. Durand takes her in his arms, I am confused right away .. Daughter? So she lied to me about her whole life? She told me she was an orphan and that her parents died when she was young.

After the announcement, I looked for her throughout the room and in the lobby of the hotel without finding her. I spot Luke at his table and sit next to him "you'll never guess who I met tonight!" interest can be read in his eyes "who?"

"I saw Selena, she bumps into me in the bathroom" he lifts his eyebrows totally faking being surprised "seriously, you already knew?!" he laughs shaking his head "yeah, but you love surprises!" I roll my eyes "I don't".

Years ago, I was too harsh with her but she deserved it, she didn't fight for our marriage, she accepted the divorce directly. But today she ran away, she avoided me which means she has something to hide and I'll find out what it is ....

....................................................................................
My holiday ends tomorrow and I will probably post a chapter every one to two weeks, so not very often , i'm sorry !! <3