Chapter 17

In front of me he was there, in a white shirt and designer pants with ten people behind him all holding huge boxes and bags full of gifts

In front of me he was there, in a white shirt and designer pants with ten people behind him all holding huge boxes and bags full of gifts. My head surely showed my surprise as Dante scratches the back of his neck looking for words to explain the situation to me.

"I missed so many birthdays, I wanted to compensate for all the moments I missed by my fault with these gifts for our daughter... and this bouquet is for you for having given birth to our baby and this gift too but open later... all alone please." he smiles at me hesitantly, he knows I never wanted to spoil my children but he surely regrets not having this opportunity in the last six years even if it is his fault so I let him in and took my gifts from him.

I placed the bouquet in a vase in the kitchen, then directed Dante to the back yard. As soon as we walked through the back door, everyone turned to us, faces of surprises and shock appeared.Meanwhile, the people who accompany Dante place the mountain of gifts on the living room table.

I didn't miss Pierre's reaction, which seems to have smoke coming out of his nose and ears. Stella and Luke approach us and greet Dante. "So you are in contact? Together? »I shake my head from left to right immediately "He wanted to know Lilah and I accepted". I look at Dante smiling at me before staring at the group of children but more particularly Lilah.

Then he turns his gaze away to me again, asking for permission to meet his daughter. "Lilah come here, there's someone I want you to meet! "My little girl runs towards me and hides directly behind my legs when she sees Dante. "It's Dante, a friend of mom's and he loves lasagna and unicorns like you" Lilah giggles shyly behind my legs and whispers a little hello to Dante before pulling my arm to crouch.

"He looks like dad! Like in the picture! "But she whispers very loudly in my ear and everyone including Dante heard her. I smile at her and carry her in my arms so that Dante can admire our daughter's pretty face more closely. "My eyes look like you" she squealed and reaches out to go into her father's arms .

Dante's eyes light up like he finally has something he has dreamed of all his life. The moment when my daughter finally finds herself in her father's arms after six years without knowing him, that made me cry with warm tears of sadness and joy.

After that, Lilah started in endless discussions with him, the two laugh and play together, Dante started chasing the children and ending up in the mud. Then cake time came and while everyone was singing, my head turned to Dante, him looking at our daughter with admiration and adoration before looking at me and whispering, thank you....

The hours have passed and the guests have left one by one until the only one who stay is Dante who playing with Lilah with the legos he bought her. I go towards them when Pierre takes me by the arm and pushes me violently into the next room before grabbing both my arms with force and pushing me against the wall.

« C'est quoi ça ! Tu veux faire quoi m'humilier ? tu veux subir ma colère ? Parce que tu as inviter ton ex-mari sans prévenir ton copain ! » ( What is that! What do you want to do to humiliate me? Do you want to suffer my anger? Because you invited your ex-husband without notifying your boyfriend!) His hands around my arms begin to hurt me and I feel the bruises forming by the force of his grip.« Je te quitte ... je peux plus supporter ton comportement de gamin ! Et lâche moi tu me fais mal ! »(I'm leaving you... I can't stand your kid behavior anymore! And let go of me, you hurt me! ) I have manage to say.

With that he squeeze his hands around my arms and move to held my arms with one hand and put the other hand aggressively around my neck. I utter a cry of distress feeling the air disappear from my lungs little by little, my vision begins to blacken when the pressure around my neck has evaporated and I open my eyes to see Dante slapping Pierre with rage against the wall.

" Lilah can you please go to your room! " he screams until we hear small steps on the stairs. "You are just a  little piece of shit, I should kill you for just thinking of touching her! " then he  hit him  brutally against the wall again , a wave of fear was clearly visible in Pierre's eyes and in mine too when I saw the muscular arm Dante placed around Pierre's neck.

"You like this feeling, not breathing, it's not fun when it happens to you ! "I start crying slightly from the situation and the pain of my arms and neck. Hearing my tears, Dante immediately turns to me and his eyes soften.

He takes Pierre by the shirt and pulls him on the ground to the entrance of the house and unconsciously I follow him. Dante takes him by the collar one last time and hits him in the face. « I see you close to her or our daughter only once and I kill you, understood? »His threatening tone can terrify anyone and with that Pierre ran away with a torn shirt and a broken nose.

I dropped all my tears directly when the door closed and ran into my room to wrap it in my sheets. I didn't hear the front door closed but Lilah's room opened  and i heard a conversation between Lilah and Dante "Mom doesn't feel very well but nothing serious so we'll let her rest and prepare a comfort dinner for her  ok? "

After that it's was the delicious  smells that kept me awake before falling asleep...