The First Subclass (II)

Summary: Mahiru wakes up and he feels... different. The last thing he remembers is fighting... a pair of arms picking him up... and blood...

~○●○~

"H- hey, Sloth Nii-san, it's not that bad- EEK!!"

Hyde's reassurance turned into a shriek as Kuro's long claws grazed his shoulder.

"IT'S NOT THAT BAD?!" Kuro snarled, glaring at Hyde. "IT'S REALLY FUCKING BAD!! I'VE TURNED HIM INTO A MONSTER!!"

"A- ah, but he's... still alive..."

I'm so selfish. Kuro barely recognized Hyde was speaking, wrapped in his thoughts of heavy guilt. I'm so fucking stupid, I should have seen through Tsubaki's games, I should tear myself to shreds, I should-

"Nii- Nii-san?"

Kuro only responded with a growl.

Lily and Hyde exchanged a glance.

~○●○~

"So, Sloth Nii-san," Hyde said, shutting the door behind him. "What's so urgent that you had to leave your-"

"Please, call me by my name!"

Both Hyde and Lily jumped at Kuro's shout.

They had thought it unusual when Kuro had left the task of caring for Mahiru to Licht and Misono, after they reunited in the outskirts of town. Of course they had realized something was wrong, Kuro usually wouldn't even think of letting Mahiru out of his sight when he was so badly wounded.

This was on a whole other level.

This was downright freaky.

Kuro never shouted. Never.

"Please!!" Kuro yelled, staring at his brothers, a rare desperation in his crimson eyes. "Please, I need to know, I- I CAN'T HAVE BEEN SO STUPID AS TO LET THAT HAPPEN! CALL ME BY MY NAME, I'M BEGGING YOU!!"

"Sle... Sleepy Ash."

Hyde screamed and jumped several miles back when Kuro glared at him, the dark aura around him intensifying.

"SINCE WHEN HAVE I EVER CALLED THAT MY NAME? MY ACTUAL NAME, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT, THE ONE MAHIRU GAVE ME!!"

"K- KURO!!"

All of a sudden, Kuro's dark aura dampened. He sighed in relief, his nonchalant, slouching posture returning.

"Ah... thank god," Kuro mumbled. "I still recognize my name. The contract's intact then." He dipped his head. "Thank you, Lawless."

"U- uh... no problem?" Hyde couldn't get rid of his stammer as he tried to joke, "J- jeez, Sloth Nii-san, you- you nearly gave me a heart attack!!"

"N- Nii-san, what was that all about?"

"What a pain... I still need to ask one more question, then I'll stop being so weird..." Kuro replied. "Lily..."

"Hm?"

"How much blood does a servamp need to give to create a subclass?"

"Ah? Oh," Lily answered, humming. "Not much, usually a few drops is enough."

A few drops.

A few drops.

"No..."