Happy Birthday

Corresponds to the Servamp: The Alternative Course AU

Summary: The Sloth pair celebrate their first new year's eve together and learn some new things about each other

Happy birthday Kuro~!

~○●○~

Kuro had no idea what his eve was doing.

One moment he had been knocking on the door and yelling for Kuro to let him into the apartment, the next Mahiru had set down about a zillion bags on the table.

"...Mahiru?"

"Hm?" Mahiru questioned, not looking up from sorting food.

"What're you doing?"

"What do you mean what I am doing?" Mahiru retorted, looking up. He flicked the vampire's forehead. "Are you so lazy you've stopped keeping track of the calender cat?"

"...the calender?"

"It's a special day!"

Of course Kuro knew today was special- for him at least. It was his birthday- his human birthday, not his completion day which the Creator had insisted on calling his birthday despite Kuro's many issues with that.

Kuro had... many conflicting feelings about today.

On one hand, it was one of the few strands to his humanity he had left, a day that wasn't connected to his being a monster. And so he liked it.

But on the other, he couldn't help but feel that he just shouldn't be there, that it marked another year he had been alive that he should have been buried 6 ft under.

Still, he perfered it over his completion day, so it was the date he'd give when pressed for his birthday.

But...

No one had asked in a long time.

Well that wasn't really true. Mahiru had indeed asked about it, but Kuro had dismissed the question and reprimanded the eve for thinking about that on his own birthday. Since then, Mahiru hadn't brought it up again... probably forgotten, especially that had happened only 2 months after their contract...

And Kuro was reluctant to bring it up himself. After all, why make things awkward by making Mahiru feel obligated to celebrate him, the guy who had dragged him out of his simple life and into a conflict between vampires? Even if he was trying to keep Mahiru out of the wider war Tsubaki had declared they still had to deal with the troublesome fox's subclasses on a regular basis... how would Kuro be something to celebrate for Mahiru? Kuro found it hard to believe even if he knew very well the eve would insist on celebrations.

So Mahiru shouldn't know.

...right?

Had his troublesome little brother Lily told him?

"Ah right- Lily said to give you this!"

The eve shoved a pink box into Kuro's hands.

"A- ah?"

"I dropped by the mansion earlier and Lily said it was a gift for you! Makes sense, Lily does like his celebrations... see, even Lily knows there's something celebrating about today... jeez..."

Kuro opened the box cautiously.

Inside was a blanket, fluffy and soft to the touch with a small note lying on top of it. The note said "To my dear brother: I know you said not to bother but I still wanted to say: Happy birthday! With love, Lily".