I'll let you know

Summary: Kuro's always been hard to read, but Mahiru's been finding it easier lately. Weird thing is, he seems to be the only one.

aka. my headcanon on how Mahiru really reads Kuro

~○●○~

Mahiru had always found it a teeny bit difficult to read Kuro.

The servamp of sloth spoke in monotone unless the situation was very dire, and his face was usually turned away and partly hidden by his hood- even if it wasn't, it tended not to give much away. He also just... wasn't very forthcoming with his emotions.

Not that Mahiru minded it, it was just that it meant he often had to ask his partner directly.

He had noticed however that since their first group confrontation with Tsubaki, he had been able to tell what Kuro was thinking much more easily.

At first he'd thought maybe Kuro had been deliberately putting on a blank expression before, and had now dropped it now that he'd had Mahiru's encouragement.

But...

~○●○~

"You're late shit rat," Licht remarked impatiently as Hyde finally sat down at their table outside the cafe.

"Ah haha- sorry Angel-chan, Sloth Nii-san, Mahiru~!" Hyde sang cheerfully. "The first rehearsal ran a bit longer than I'd thought!"

"Rehearsal?"

"Yeah! I got an acting gig for the next performance of As You Like It!" Hyde explained. His excited was obvious in his wide grin, the brightness of his voice. "I even got Orlando's role!"

Mahiru wasn't sure what that meant, being unfamiliar with that specific Shakespeare play, but Hyde's enthusiasm made him smile and reply, "That sounds cool! Congratulations for landing the role Lawless!"

"Haha... thank you Mahiru!"

"...congratulations."

"HEH?!" Hyde yelped. "ANGEL-CHAN IS CONGRARULATING ME?! IS THE WORLD ABOUT TO END?!"

"No you stupid shit rat! I remember you telling me about auditioning-"

"YOU REMEMBERED SOMETHING I WAS EXCITED ABOUT?!"

"Stop being so dramatic! And don't overthink it you demon- you just don't shut up when you're excited is all!!"

Mahiru nudged Kuro- even though he could tell the sloth servamp was happy and maybe a bit proud of his brother, Kuro hadn't said anything.

Kuro sighed and muttered, "What a pain..."

Mahiru laughed, smiling fondly at Kuro as he patted the servamp's arm. He remarked, "Always so unwilling to be honest. It's okay to be happy for your siblings you know."

Kuro shrugged and looked away.

Hyde and Licht stared at Mahiru incredulously.

"What?"

"How on Earth could you tell that?"

"That Neko-san was happy, we mean?" Licht added.

"Heh?" Mahiru questioned. "Isn't it obvious to you?"

"OBVIOUS?!" Hyde screeched loudly. "OBVIOUS MY ASS! HE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES!!"

Mahiru suddenly sensed that Kuro was annoyed, and he looked at his partner just in time for the sloth servamp to mutter, "You're so loud... such a pain..."