Chapter 2

Katze sped toward what was Dana Bahn at top speed on a stolen bike. He had bought Riki here once more at his last request to be beside Iason, but Katze now regretted that decision. Knowing Iason, he wouldn't have wanted Riki to perish. Katze pushed the bike towards hazardously high speeds while chiding himself for letting Riki do what he wanted.

As he reached Dana Bahn, Katze's eyes widened in despair. I'm too late. Are they gone? Katze checked where the signal on Iason's ring was coming from, and realized that it was actually a few ways behind the blown-up base. Driving through the rubble, he soon sees a figure. Iason! Joy filled Katze at the sight. However, as he neared, he saw another figure on the ground. Riki! But, something wasn't right. Had Riki already used the cigarettes he'd given him? Katze skidded to a halt right beside the couple.

"Iason..."

"Katze." Iason looked up to see his trusty black market's overseer on a bike, ready to save his beloved. "How did you find me?"

"I hacked into your system and tracked the location of your ring." Hearing this surprised Iason. He knew that the system was often used to track pet rings like Riki's, but never would he have thought it would be possible to use it the other way around. Leave it to Katze to accomplish the impossible.
Iason shook his head in disbelief at the things mongrels do and at the relief he felt that Riki will make it.

"Hurry. Take Riki. Anywhere in Midas will be fine. Flush the drug out of him immediately."

"I thought Riki said you couldn't move, Iason." Iason sighed; that much was true. He wouldn't get anywhere in his condition. And Riki wouldn't be able to access the medical services in Eos without him there.

"Call Raoul," Iason commanded Katze after a moment's hesitation, "Leave me the phone and take Riki." Katze nodded and threw the device to Iason. Gathering Riki in his arms like a small child, he drove off again back to Midas with one arm around the limp body.

"Raoul-" Iason began when the call went through, but he was cut off.

"Where are you? I've been looking for you all day!"

"I am outside Dana Bahn. Could you take me to the nearest hospital in Midas?" Iason heard a sigh come from the other end of the receiver.

"Figured you would be there. You should never have went alone. I'm coming with a few others to get you back to Eos-"

"No. I'm fine, so that will not be necessary. Just track down Katze and drive me to whichever hospital he is in." Iason waited when he heard hesitation on the other end.

"...Does this have to do with Riki? I'm guessing something happened with the two of you at Dana Bahn before it exploded." Iason's eyes widened. News traveled faster than he thought. But then again, Raoul's information barely scratched the surface. You have no idea what these mongrels are capable of.

"You're right Raoul, but that's not the whole story. I will tell you the rest when I return. For now, I need to check on Riki's condition."

"...I'm nearing Dana Bahn." Raoul concluded, ending the call.

Iason grinned. Even though Raoul had one hell's load of prejudices against Riki, he's always been there to support Iason. Maybe I underestimated his loyalty, Iason thought to himself. Raoul is just as determined as I am towards his own goals. Who knows? Maybe he'll be more accepting of Riki if he gets bit by a mongrel of his own. Iason couldn't place the feeling he got, or tell the future, but at the moment, the small shiver that went down his spine told him he was correct.