Chapter 2 - Protecting Her

I watch Jake from the side mirror standing there watching us leave. Tears are flowing down my face as all I wanted was to fix whatever happened this last year.

This last year has been a whirlwind of emotions. He came out to visit me 6 months ago and I thought we were madly in love but as he was getting ready to come back he became distant and I couldn't figure out why.

I thought it was because of my friends and family being so protective of me but he assured me that wasn't the issue. He kept telling me he loved me and when we would fight he would send me my favorite flowers. However, this last fight he didn't and it had me worry.

"MC, it will be okay" says Jessy as she pulls into a coffee shop.

"Can you just bring me a coffee and take me to Duskwood?" I say looking at the coffee shop and it's one Jake always took me too when he would spoil me when I came out here.

"Yeah I can do that, but we need to talk about what happened." She says

"He cheated on me Jessy. Not much to talk about," I say looking at her with tears in my eyes.

She gets out and my phone goes off with a text. Unsure if i want to check it but I do and it's from Jake.

Jake: MC, I'm sorry for everything. You deserve better than this. I know for the last year I haven't been the best and you kept trying to fix things between us and I just pushed you away. Please just know you will always hold a space in my heart but I did fall in love with you and I hate that I broke you like this.

I see he's still online. I start typing wanting to fight him for thinking he doesn't deserve me but I stop myself and erase it. Unable to say it, I just sign off and put my phone down.

My heart breaks more knowing these last two years might not have been perfect butI thought the love was true. I put my head on the dashboard and the dam of tears just break. I look up and see the girl from earlier and I about lose it but thankfully Jessy comes out of the coffee shop and gets in.

I go to grab my coffee from her "nope you're going to tell me what happened between you and Jake. You guys acted like you were still in love this whole two years so I need to know when it became a lie to us," she says, pulling the coffee away.

"When he came to visit me six months ago. I thought we were perfect. Yes we've been fighting this last year but nothing huge. However before he left to come back here, he became really distant. I didn't know why but he just played it off as he was going to miss me." I say with a sigh.

"MC, why didn't you say anything?" She asks, giving me my coffee cup.

"Because I knew you all would go to this conclusion, especially Dan. We both know Dan hasn't liked him even when we were looking for Hannah. I didn't want to believe he would push me away because he loved someone else" I say still crying and not taking the cup.

"MC, I need to tell you something" she says with a sigh. "I dont think he stopped loving you and loving someone else. I think he's just scared" she says, pulling out her phone and opening the chat with Jake.

Jake: Jessica, please know I never meant to hurt MC like this. She's everything I've ever wanted and more. I still love her, I always will, but she deserves someone who is worthy of her love and time. Yes I did cheat on her but they never held a place in my heart like she does.

Jake: She will always be the missing piece to the puzzle but just please let her know I did this so she can find someone worthy of her unconditional love.

Jessy: You have no idea what you've done. She's never going to love someone like she loves you. You broke her heart today and her trust. You can't expect her to just move on because you want her too. You didn't see the hurt in her eyes as we drove off but I did.

Jessy: Even now she doesnt want to get out of the car for coffee! You broke the best thing in your life because you thought you didn't deserve her? She doesn't deserve to be treated like this. You two could have worked through whatever the problem is but no you pushed her off a cliff.

Jake: Please just tell her, I'm sorry.

"Jessy" I say with tears in my eyes "take me back and wait for me please."

"No, you need some space and time to think and he needs to realize how much he messed up with you," she says.

I pull out my phone and show her the message he sent me. "I got that as you got out of the car. Please, I'm begging you. Otherwise I'm getting out of this car and running towards him."

She locks the doors and makes it so I can't unlock from my side "no you're not running back to him. He wants you, he can prove it by coming to Duskwood" she says as she pulls out of the parking spot and heading to Duskwood.

I lean my head against the window, knowing it's pointless to argue with her. There is a reason she has bright red hair, when she gets angry it fits her.

Jakes POV

After the message to MC and hoping to reason with Jessica, I realize how much I've messed up. I want to win her heart back but I'm unsure if that is possible. She is right, I'm the one that pushed MC off this emotional cliff because I couldn't open up to her about what I was feeling.

I throw my phone across the apartment and it lands by the coffee cup that is shattered. I look at the shattered cup realizing it's one of the matching ones she bought to keep her for when she visits and we can both drink out of it.

Why do I always fuck up a good thing in my life? Why can't I just open up to MC and push through these feelings of doubt?

I go and clean up the cup and grab my phone. I look at it hoping it's not cracked and thankfully it isnt. The chat with MC is open and I see it says she's online.

A notification comes through

Dan: how fucking dare you! You don't deserve someone like her. You dont deserve to be in her presence. I swear hackerman you come near her when I'm around her it will be the last thing you do.

I don't answer him trying not to fuel the fire I started. I knew everyone was protective of her. Shit, I told her to earn their trust and become part of the group. I even know Hannah and Lilly are going to take her side. I can't blame anyone but myself for this but I decided I need to find her.

I open the app on my phone to track location. 'I'm sorry for what I'm about to do, MC," I say to myself as I track her location. I realize they are heading to Duskwood. I throw some clothes and the basics in a bookbag and head out locking my apartment up.