Chapter 15: I Need to Love Slow

I wake up to us both passed out on opposite ends of the couch and realize it's morning. Thankfully we are both off work today.

I head into the kitchen to make us coffee and I look at my phone. Surprisingly there is no message from Jake but there is one from Hannah.

Hannah: I'm sorry for pushing tonight for you guys to fix whatever is going on. You just know I want you both in the kids' life. Honestly I couldn't imagine a better aunt and uncle for the kids to love.

My heart melts and in that moment I realize she's right, we do need to fix things. I head to my bedroom and jump in the shower. My mind wanders back to all the good moments we've shared together. It goes back to the love and I realize even more that I can't imagine life without him in it. I get dressed and pick up my phone. It's showing he's online, probably getting ready for his morning run since he missed it yesterday.

MC: Do you have a moment to talk?

Jake: Always do for you. Want me to come over?

MC: Yeah, I already made coffee for Jessy and I.

Jessy comes into my bedroom with a cup of coffee in her hands. "So what's the verdict?" She asks.

"He's coming over and we're gonna talk, so we're gonna be in the living room so we can focus" I say blushing a bit.

"I'm glad you're gonna talk about this" she says walking away.

I sit on my bed and think about everything over these last five years. I can't help but think about all the good moments. I go over to a jewelry box I have that has important jewelry and I see the ring he had given me on Friday on the chain.

I havent worn it the last couple days because while I still love him, the trust is what's holding us back from moving forward. I finally go and head into the kitchen and make my coffee and I hear the doorbell. I head over there and he's standing there when I open the door.

"Hi Jake," I say, biting my lip. The look in his eyes is what I fell in love with but I have to remember why I asked him to come over. I move aside and let him in.

"MC, I'm sorry for going to Hannah '' he says lopking into my eyes.

"I know you were trying to figure out how to fix this and she's your sister so it makes sense." I say with a sigh.

I start walking to the couch with my coffee and I hear Jessy come out.

"Hey I'm heading to the bakery down the street, want anything?"

"Yeah you know what I like, '' I say as I sit down on the couch that is still covered with blankets from last night.

Jake sits next to me and I take a sip of coffee trying to figure ouf my words. We sat there for a few minutes without saying anything.

"Jake" I say as I fidget with my hands and he puts his hands on mine. I can't look at him while I say what I'm about to as I know it's going to break both our hearts.

I take a sigh "I know we just entered back into each other's life and we both know we've missed eachother these last three years. However, I think we need to slow down and relearn to fall back in love slowly" i say looking down at our habds interwined.

He moves one of his hands and gently grabs my chin turning me to face him. "Is that what you need to be able to trust me again?" He asks and I see the sadness in his eyes.

"Yes," I sigh wanting to kiss him when he looks at me like this. "You coming back after everything. I thought I was good, I thought I could let you walk back into my life like nothing happened. At first I was certain I could but as we spent more time together I realized I can't" i say. I turn my head away from him but he's still holding my hand.

"Okay, I understand," he says, taking my hand kissing the back of it before he gets up.

As he starts walking away "Jake?" I say looking at him.

He turns around and doesn't say anything but looks at me. "I do still love you" I say.

He doesn't say anything and walks out of the apartment.

I curl up in the blanket from last night just staring at the window. Jessy walks in and sees me. She puts down the pastries and sits next to me and holds me.

" You did the right thing," she says.