Chapter 12: Walker 2.0

-shuts down my brain for...the...

Wait. I'm awake again!

I open my eyes and something immediately feels different. My left eye. Not only is it back but now...I don't know how to explain it. Something about ME feels off.

I sit up in the chair and feel how stiff my body is. I stretch my body out and get off the chair, looking around for Mr. Carey.

"Hello Walker Schnee!"

Walker: "AH!!! WHO SAID THAT?!"

"Don't be alarmed! I've been installed into your system! I'm no intruder! My name is SAI#295731!"

W-What?! There's a fucking AI in my head!

Walker: "I-I...why?! Did the Head Doctor do this?!"

"Yes! I assume you would prefer to give me a shorter or simpler name? How about Sai?"

Walker: "I...okay. Deep breaths..."

"Sir I can't breathe though."

Walker: "No. For me. I need to take deep breaths."

After a couple deep inhales and exhales, I finally relax and begin thinking. Some questions immediately come up.

When was this planned?
How long have I been out?
How developed is Sai?
And was I supposed to get this?

"I can answer all of those questions!"

...you can read my mind?

"Yes! Well, it's hard to explain. Think of me as part of your consciousness now!"

But what if I want privacy?

"Simple! I can go to sleep!"

Okay...answer the questions please.

"Certainly! You were originally supposed to have me installed when you first woke up! However, there were some setbacks in my creation that took extra time to iron out!"

Okay...do you have a gender? You have the voice of a girl after all.

"While I physically don't have a body like you would, I have a visible body if I were to be projected onto a screen! Like a hologram! Even if I didn't have that, my personality, thought process and mind were based off of a super friendly and very intelligent girl! In fact! I am based off of Dr. Carey's own daughter!"

Really? So he made an AI version of his own daughter? For what reason?

"Even I don't know! I do know that she is alive so it wasn't made out of desperation or anything!"

I suppose that's okay. Uh, next question. How long have I been out?

"Approximately 26 hours! The tournament ended rather quickly after you left. Your match against Sun Wukong was also your last fight anyways! Most of the final fighters were from Beacon so they won by default! Mercury Black was there to take your place if needed though!"

Hah. Good for them. So...are we still at Vale? Beacon?

"Yes! Although most of the kingdoms have returned after finishing the festival last night, Ironwood allowed you, Dr. Carey and Winter to stay for the last day. The reason for you and Dr. Carey is because of your procedure and your sister and friends wanted to see you repaired again."

And what about Winter?

"She cares very deeply for you. Winter wishes to have a good relationship with all her siblings. ALL of them. While she most likely won't receive that with your brother Whitley, she will try her hardest for you and Weiss. It also helps that you are even more disconnected from the Schnee family then someone like Winter is, who might as well be a Schnee ONLY by name."