Chapter 4: The Politician

The Wolf

"We got any word from the Bureau yet?"

Wolf managed to keep his voice neutral, not allowing his temper to take over. The comms would mask some of the emotions in his voice, but he knew that if he wanted to avoid having everyone worry about him, he would have to put in a little effort.

The politician's plane had been scheduled to land in another ten minutes, and they had heard nothing from any other instances besides Swordpoint's security personnel.

"Still nothing. Assume they are either on the plane, or they will meet you at the hotel."

Whether Ashley had better control over her emotions, or the comms masked hers the same as it did Wolf's was impossible to tell.

He decided to ignore it, instead roaming the almost empty airport, trying to hear anything that might be out of place. Security had put the place on lockdown for Faheem's arrival. Something that made Wolf's job both easier and harder at the same time.

On the one hand, anyone that stood out could just be disposed of, without a second thought, as they were a security risk. On the other hand, the fact that there was only one plane arriving that day made it easier for things like a missile to be fired from a nearby building, and hit the correct target.

And given Hellpit's shining reputation, Wolf couldn't exactly rule out the possibility that some asshole did indeed have one or several missiles.

"Viper, ridgeline."

"Seems clear. If there's anyone there, they're skilled enough to hide from me, so searching won't do much good."

"Can you pass by the edge of the city?"

"Copy that. Anything in particular I'm looking for?"

"Anything seems out of place, you remove it."

"Yes sir."

It was back to silence after that, insofar as silence could be found in a building. The heartbeats, whispers and breathing of the few employees still in the building were something he could easily overlook by now, and he had even gotten used to the distrusting glances they shot his way every once in a while.

The same could not be said for those employees though.

Wolf had noticed before that his presence was unsettling for humans, and other creatures for that matter. He wasn't sure whether it was his face, or perhaps just the fact that he was usually visibly armed, but if he had to point at a cause, he would blame survival instincts. Something in the minds of the people around him was always screaming at them that they were in danger when he was in the room, a fact that was hard to hide from a telepath. Even if they didn't realise it, it always influenced their interactions with him.

The same was true for the few words they spoke to him as he was roaming the airport. At first they might have just given off the impression of being shy, but every time Wolf turned to them, he noticed they recoiled a little, as if burned by something.

"When's the plane landing?"

They hadn't expected him to speak. A brief moment of panic came over the workers waiting at the terminals, though to their credit, they recovered quickly.

"12 minutes, sir."

Sir. That's what they called him. Ever so polite, out of fear. That was something he wasn't quite used to. Usually, people would just swear at him, or beg for their own lives, or that of some relative. Oftentimes the latter would be a child or spouse. Even the other Warslaves weren't exactly polite with each other.