Chapter 19: A Hunting Hound

The Greyhound

Auros had contacted him several times. Greyhound knew the battlemage hoped he would slip up in conversation and give something away.

But then, Greyhound didn't know the plan either. All he knew was that he kept running into people that quickly lost the will to fight after the old Warslave killed a few. He let them go, not sharing the others'... thoroughness in making sure nothing was left moving.

"You know you're not getting anything out of this. Might as well switch frequencies on your radio."

"Meh, knew you'd be carrying that old thing with you. You're sentimental, you know that?"

Greyhound shrugged.

"I'm old, I get to be sentimental. What's it this time then?"

"Just checking up on you. Any idea where you are?"

"Not getting that out of me, you know that."

"Worth a try. In all seriousness, seems someone's messing with the labyrinth. You know that's dangerous, right?"

"Means you don't have to worry about that for long. If they figured out how to mess with it, it'll be gone soon."

"... That's the opposite of reassuring."

"I know."

"We'll be trying to stall them... I've got five Shadow Killers at the source. Will I need more?"

"More Shadow Killers? If you have any-"

"More tricks. If I had more, they'd be there."

"Interesting choice of ally."

Physically, the spirits were as strong as, if not stronger than, a Warslave, just as fast and more durable. It was when it came down to powers that a Warslave absolutely overshadowed the creatures. Not to mention that a Warslaves Core could change the balance on the physical part...

It wouldn't be enough. Not five, and not without anything to even the odds. He told the battlemage as much.

Auros sighed, audibly growing more tired by the minute.

"Figured as much. They're in a field that blocks magic, if that helps."

"Should. No powers will cut the fight more evenly, but even then, my boys and girls can outdo them in skill."

"Wouldn't be too sure. They each have several centuries under their belts-"

"And were trained for this, I know. Vital difference is: they weren't designed for this. Mine were. They've an edge on any other creature there: they live for this, and nothing else."

"How long?"

"How far along are they in manipulating the labyrinth?"

"They started when I called you first."

"When they're done, probably only a few minutes. I don't know how skilled the mage is, but she should only need a few hours."

"Thanks."

He was left in relative silence, sensing the labyrinth change around him.

His senses weren't as sharp as his pupils, but he had one distinct advantage over them. The sense they used to pick up energy could also be used to determine the exact flow of magic, if given enough practice.

He'd never taught the others how to do it, they'd never needed it. Someone fired a spell at them, they would know, and given their resistance to magic there was a good chance it wouldn't do too much.