Chapter 9: Blood

The Wolf

"Viper... what'd you do to the newbloods?"

It was hard not to notice the nervous glances Swallow was throwing his twin's way, and the half murderous, half apologetic stare Stormcrow adopted whenever looking at Viper.

"I may have gone a little too far during practice. Though I don't see the problem with a cut-"

"The wound is not the problem. It's the attitude you took with every mistake."

Greyhound took another sip from his drink. They had all finished eating, and that meant Greyhound had gone digging for whatever drinks he could find. Phil had tried to hide the alcohol at first, but after half a day of that not working, he'd given up and instead resolved to just add it to Swordpoint's bill.

"They've gone through enough disapproval from the lab workers, especially the girl."

Wolf had to admit that he agreed with Greyhound.

"We need to build their confidence a little. They can't perform if they keep second guessing themselves. Go talk to them, now without worrying about me. You've seen that I'm okay, now make sure everyone else is."

He knew all that, of course. Wolf wasn't telling his brother anything new, but he knew putting it into words often helped Viper turn his thoughts into actions.

"Fine, I'll get going."

As he got up, Greyhound shrugged.

"I told you they listen to you."

He only half registered what his old mentor was saying, his attention instead focussed on several other things going on in the bar.

"So you did..."

"And the weather is great tonight."

"So it is..."

Greyhound looked out of the window, sighing as he stared out into the pouring rain.

"Something on your mind?"

Wolf considered whether or not to speak, before deciding against talking out loud.

You see that?

He half indicated towards one of the tables. Caracal and Aurora were speaking in such a hushed voice that even the two Warslaves couldn't make out what they were saying. Though Wolf could probably guess if he really tried.

"What of it? You made friends too."

He nodded towards another table, where Harkon was entertaining Rose and Sam with some glowing runestones that changed colours depending on how loud they spoke to them.

Keep it silent. You notice nothing off?

Why would I?

Listen.

Greyhound shook his head.

Nothing. Though compared to you I'm a little hard of hearing.

Accelerated heartbeats. Caracal and Aurora are both preparing for a fight.

Now Greyhound just turned around, looking for a moment, before shaking his head again, smiling.

"They're not gonna fight."

Then what-... "Oh... Wait, is that even possible?"

Shush, you're being impolite. And... It seems that way, yes.

Wolf shook his head now.

Children... They grow up so fast.

I don't know, you're still a little childish. Scratch that, you're still very childish.