Chapter 7: Cold Dead Hands

The Wolf

"Am I audible?"

The comms answered Wolf's question with nothing but static for a moment, before Max answered him.

"Yup, comms are working."

"Alright, Ashley?"

Their handler replied immediately, before the static.

"Loud and clear."

"Harkon?"

The vampire's voice had a weird distorted feeling over the speakers, making it sound a little off.

"I'm using the same comms as Maximillian."

Wolf gestured to Viper that everything was working. In response, his brother nodded and started packing the knives he had been sharpening, throwing his twin a few that Wolf stowed away. There were plenty more weapons sprawled out across the furniture and ground of the room the two had been using to sleep in.

Once they had packed all their gear, Viper spoke up.

"So, did they find the good doctor himself, or are we hunting an informant?"

"Supplier. Some arms dealer that supplies supervillains with whatever they need for their plans to work. He'll be closing a deal with someone in a club. We get there first, rig the place up with traps and wait for him and his buyer."

"So we get to play with the new toys?"

"Absolutely."

"And Aurora's just gonna let us?"

Wolf rolled his eyes, before shrugging.

"Probably not, but were you really gonna let that stop you?"

"Just checking."

"Did you pack the haywires?"

Viper tapped his amulet.

"All there."

Wolf smirked, before activating the comms again.

"All good on our end. We'll be trapping the warehouse first, then we'll give you the go ahead to inform Aurora where we went. Keep her as backup, since she'll draw too much attention for a stealth operation."

It was only several more minutes before they arrived at the club in question. Sneaking in was a matter of no effort to them. There were hundreds of ways in without anyone noticing, but the easiest way was to simply teleport in from the neighbouring rooftop.

Placing the traps without being seen was another matter. There were a lot of people, and whether they were dressed in the suits Swordpoint had provided them with, or their own wargear, they would stand out.

Wolf's assessment was simple, as he and his brother shared a look while hiding away in a mostly unused hallway.

"Too many people, too much light. And the noise and smell are unbearable."

"Wanna call it off? We can always tail the guy and get him somewhere else."

Wolf shook his head.

"We'd risk losing the scent. If I were to guess, he'd use either the VIP lounge or the basement for his deal. We can kill the people in the lounge and clean the mess to get it empty for us to trap, the basement should be easy enough."

"Killing them would rouse suspicion."

"I know. Trap the basement, I'll see if the lounge is accessible."

"Why not the other way around? I'm better at sneaking."

"Oh, absolutely, which is why you're going to the basement. I have a gut feeling something's off about the place. Stay hidden, even if nobody's there."