Chapter 8: Human?

The Wolf

He was prepared for the knives flying at him. In fact, he'd have been disappointed if Caracal and Greyhound hadn't reacted by attacking when a stranger teleported into the same room without warning.

Not all was well in their reaction though, as Caracal had not been prepared for him catching her knife and throwing it back at her. Greyhound deflected it without trouble, but Caracal's knife embedded itself in her shoulder.

"Fucking hell! What the fuck, Wolf!?"

Wolf ignored her, instead catching the bucket Viper threw him and shoving it under his passenger's face before she threw up. He was just in time.

Teleporting had clearly been unpleasant for the mage, and it made her stomach turn around and deposit its contents in the hastily readied bucket. Wolf still remembered what that felt like, even though it had been years since his body had gotten used to teleporting.

"Give it a minute, breathe calmly and you should be fine."

She was already recovering, and even managed to speak.

"A warning would have been nice..."

"I did say it would be unpleasant."

Wolf shrugged it off and turned to Caracal.

"And now you. Poor showing, and you know why."

She'd already removed the knife, and the wound was closing swiftly.

"Yeah... sorry for the outburst..."

Wolf's tone softened a little, as he realised how harsh he had been.

"It's alright, just make sure you're ready next time. This one wasn't aimed to kill, not everyone's going to be that nice."

Caracal nodded. Wolf often forgot how young she still was. He was almost a decade older, but she always carried herself as if she'd been a part of the group since the start. In his eagerness to see her fit in, it often got past him that he'd only known her for seven years.

It was one of the reasons he found her hard to deal with, but that didn't take away that he was the one that did have to deal with her, and all the others.

"Chin up, girl. You'll get it right next time. Don't let Greyhound's casual ease fool you into thinking it's easy. Even with our senses, this takes a while to get right. You'll get faster, just like I did."

Now she smirked, an expression he was far more used to from her.

"Of course I will. I've always gotten it right in the end, haven't I?"

"Don't let that get to your head. You'll get it right, and then we'll throw the next lesson at you."

Greyhound waved to get his attention as he spoke. When he turned to his old mentor, the man was already motioning to Wolf's companion.

"Care to inform us who that is?"

Wolf shared a glance with Viper, who just shrugged. Apparently he had not told the others about what had happened yet.

"She's a surgeon and mage."

He'd said it as if that alone was all the explanation needed, leading Greyhound to roll his eyes.

"Where'd you pick that one up?"

"The hospital."

"Wolf, I am asking what happened."

Wolf shrugged.

"Oh, that? I almost died, needed a magic doctor and found one."

"Should I ask why she's blue?"