Chapter 13: Seeds of Change

The Wolf

"So, they're not actually here yet?"

The question annoyed him as any unnecessary question would. He knew why she asked, of course, but Wolf felt it fully unneeded for Iph to try and take control of the extermination part of the job. And his attitude reflected that, no matter how much he tried for it not to.

They were waiting at the harbour, where they had been told their intended targets would arrive. He'd been going over what little information they had been provided with.

"Is that not already implied in 'they'll arrive tonight'? Would they arrive here if they were already here?"

That was Wolf's problem. He always thought he knew, and always assumed the worst. Had she been one of the usual mages the Coven sent for him to work with, she would indeed be trying to take control of the conversation. As it was, he just saw her shoulders sag as he spoke. He had to remind himself that she was just nervous.

"Sorry, too much."

His apology didn't help much, but a little was more than nothing. He glanced over to where the surgeon was writing runes in a small book. She had filled over half the pages already, and he knew she'd already finished the second notebook that was tied to her belt.

"Yeah... stupid question anyways. So... the vampire was joining us?"

"He said he would, yes. Probably to brief us on how to deal with mages."

The sheer audacity of that statement helped her regain a little fire.

"Because I wouldn't know?"

"He's old, clever and experienced. He probably knows some tricks."

"So do I."

"And I, but you don't hear me complaining."

"You're not a mage."

Wolf shrugged.

"I actually have the aptitude for it. You met the reason for that."

"Right. Your biological mother, right? But you don't know her name either. So why didn't you learn?"

Wolf sat down on the ground, methodically cleaning one of his swords. The weapon didn't need cleaning, but it was routine for him to do so anyway.

"Time. We're not all clever enough to do three jobs on a professional level. I do one thing, that's what I'm good at and what I like doing. Learning spells is... tedious. Especially since I can do a lot of things without them already."

"But you could do even more. You're a well of untapped magical energy. You might even be able to cast without words, just like the Raven of the Coven."

"But then what would you be doing here?"

She smirked, her nerves forgotten for a moment.

"I could teach you. I'm a professional, after all."

"Right, in return for what?"

"How about you teach me to fight?"

Wolf shook his head.

"Amusing as that would be, you are too fragile for my kind of fighting. If humans are glass, then you're..."

"What?"

"I'm trying to think of a nice way to say 'even more fragile'. Didn't manage."

"I feel like 'delicate' would be a nicer word."

"I was originally gonna go with 'a wet paper towel'. But I thought that might be a little rude for your delicate self."

Before she could retort, Wolf motioned her to be quiet, his grip on his sword changing. He'd heard movement, and he wouldn't be caught off guard.