Chapter 10- T is for Trauma

The next couple of weeks went by uneventfully. Hopper had been mainly ignoring you which was fine because you had been ignoring him as well.

El had managed to convince him to let her attend the Snow Ball under the condition that you would be there and watch her. That was how you ended up sitting outside the Middle School gym with Billy after he dropped off Max.

Neil had forced him to drop off his sister, but you knew Billy had wanted to do it anyway to keep an eye on her and make sure none of the little Middle School boys tried anything.

The two of you sat on the hood of the Camaro and watched the kids on the dancefloor through the double glass doors of the gym and you found yourself smiling when you saw El and Mike kissing.

"I feel like such a creep watching little kids like this." You commented causing Billy to snort in amusement.

"It is creepy."

"That doesn't make me feel better."

"It's either us watching them like creeps or our parents, which would the kids prefer?" Billy asked, lighting another cigarette before taking a drag.

"Us. Definitely us. Hopper would have a stroke if he saw Mike kissing El like that." You answered, looking back at the gym.

El and Mike weren't kissing anymore though, but Max and Lucas certainly were.

Holy shit.

You were ready to grab Billy. Waiting for him to snap and march in there and pull them apart, but to your surprise Billy actually smiled ever so slightly behind the cigarette.

You knew Billy wasn't happy when Max first started hanging out with Lucas, but you also knew that it was really Neil Hargrove that was the one who wouldn't like it and Billy was only trying to look out for his stepsister. But you were relieved to know that he wasn't going to try and get in the way of their young love, despite how bad it might be if Neil ever found out.

"Is Hopper still ignoring you?" Billy asked after a few minutes of silence.

You hummed, holding your hand out and he silently handed his cigarette to you before you bought it to your lips and inhaled.

Neither of you said anything after that and you leant your head down against Billy's shoulder. He wrapped his arm around you while the two of you handed the cigarette back and forward until the Snow Ball finally finished and you took your sisters home.

-

A few days later, you were at the grocery store buying El some more Eggos and a few other supplies that the cabin was running low on.

There was only a couple more weeks before spring break and you weren't sure if you were excited or dreading it. You were excited because that meant no more school, but at the same time... what were you meant to do when you weren't at school?

The sound of a freezer door slamming shut in the aisle over made you flinch and nearly drop the carton of Eggos in your hands before an all too familiar voice started speaking.

"Shut the fuck up! If I wanted your opinion, I would've fucking asked."

There was no mistaking that voice.

Neil Hargrove.

"I'm sorry." Susan's timid voice replied.

"I don't want to hear another word from you until we get home. I'll meet you at the checkout, I need to get some more beer."

You stood frozen to the spot as you listened to Neil's heavy footsteps disappearing in the distance. You walked out the aisle you were in and ducked down the next aisle where the familiar red-haired woman stood.