Chapter 16- how many people does it take to start a car?

Everyone sat around on various chairs and tables in the food court. The kids explained everything they knew about the Mind Flayer while Steve and the others told you about the Russians secret base under Hawkins and the gate.

Hopper was sitting on the bench seat, El leaning against him with her leg resting up on the bench now freshly bandaged once again. The others were all spread out amongst the chairs while you sat on the edge of a table, Billy standing beside you with his side pressed against yours.

"Okay, so just to be clear, this... this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic weapon? But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made it's weapon out of melted people?" Steve asked, trying to wrap his head around everything.

"Yes, exactly." Nancy nodded.

"Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" Joyce asked, looking over at you guys.

"El beat the shit out of it, but, yeah, it's still alive." Max answered.

"But, if we close the gate again..." Will began to say.

"We cut the brain off from the body." Max finished in realisation.

"And kill it." Lucas added. "Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo!" Murray's voice suddenly called out and you glanced over your shoulder to find the man walking back into the mall after retrieving some sort of papers from the car that his friend Alexei gave him.

The papers were a drawn-up blueprint of the Russians base, and everyone began to get into a deep discussion and debate about what to do.

"I need to talk to you." Billy whispered, leaning closer so nobody else heard.

You tilted your head up in confusion, but knew by the serious look on his face that it was important. So, you nodded and he grabbed your hand, leading you away from the others before you could say anything.

Hopper was watching while he spoke to the others about the plan. You could feel his eyes on you, but he didn't say anything as he watched the two of you walk across the food court before Billy stopped and turned to face you.

"What's wrong?" You asked, not liking the terrified look on his face.

"Y/N, if-if things go wrong... if that thing possesses me again. I need you to kill me."

You blinked, thinking you had to have heard him wrong.

"What?"

"If it takes me, it will make me hurt people again. It will make me hurt you or-or worse and I can't... I won't let that happen." He insisted, shaking his head.

"Billy-"

"If it takes me again, I need you to kill me before I kill anyone else. Promise me you'll do it." He said, cutting you off and reaching for your hand.

"No." You said, pulling your hand away. "No. That's not fucking happening."

"Y/N, just listen-"

"No!" You snapped, raising your voice a little too loud making the others all look across the food court at you, but you didn't care. "You can't ask me to do that. I won't do it."

"You have to. Y/N, promise me you will." He repeated, his voice now begging as tears rose in his eyes before he grabbed your hand and held it against his chest. "Swear it to me. Swear to me on your sister. On Sara."

Tears began to burn in the back of your eyes as you stared at him, those beautiful blue eyes begging as he stared right back at you.

"Please. Please, promise me. Don't let me kill anyone else. Promise me." He pleaded.