Chapter 23- Skull Rock

After buying Eddie some food and the six-pack he requested, as much to Steve's disapproval, you drove back out to Hopper's cabin, but the dirt driveway was blocked off by police tape and multiple police vehicles.

"Oh, this isn't good." You sighed, staring out the side window of Nancy's wagon. "This is really not good."

There was a news crew out the front and nearly a dozen cars with members of the public all leaning over the police tape trying to listen in to what the reporter was saying.

Nancy pulled her car over and you all frantically climbed out, ducking down behind the news van parked out the front to get a better look. Hopper's cabin was still a mile down this dirt road through the woods. It was really secluded from the rest of Hawkins, so how the hell did the police know to come here?

"... reporting a homicide out here on the lake. Officer Callahan and myself arrived first on scene." The new Chief of Police said to the news camera.

You glanced over at the others in shock, Billy meeting your gaze with a level of fear that you rarely saw on him before you turned your attention back to the Officers.

"We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about two miles from the cabin down this dirt road. It was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney."

It wasn't Eddie.

Eddie was still alive. Thank God for that.

"We have also identified two people of interest. Eddie Munson." The Chief said, holding up what looked to be Eddie's high school photo to the camera before holding up another photo and your jaw dropped when you saw who it was. "Along with Billy Hargrove, who's vehicle was found here on the scene."

"Shit." You hissed under your breath.

"They could've at least used a decent picture." Billy muttered, glaring at his Hawkins Community Pool staff photo that the Chief was holding up.

"That's what you're worrying about right now?" Steve questioned in a hushed whisper.

"Dustin, can you hear me? Y/N?" Eddie's voice suddenly called through the kid's walkie talkie.

Dustin frantically pulled the walkie out his backpack, "Eddie, holy shit, are you okay?"

"Nah, man. Pretty goddamn far from okay."

"Where is he?" You asked, looking over at Dustin who quickly repeated your question through the walkie.

"Skull Rock. Do you know it?"

"Uh, yeah. That's near Cornwallis and-" Dustin started to say before Steve cut him off.

"And Garrett, yeah. I know where that is."

With that, you all piled back into Nancy's wagon, being mindful to hide Billy in the back as you drove past the police vehicles and went straight to Skull Rock, well, as far as the road could take you to Skull Rock. The rest of the journey had to be on foot, Nancy leaving her car parked on the side of the road as you trekked through the woods.

You walked alongside Billy, his arm draped over your shoulders as you walked together following Dustin who was leading the way with his compass, the others trailing behind.

"Wait." Billy suddenly said, stopping in his tracks as he looked around. "Henderson, we're going the wrong way."

"No, we're not."

"Hargrove's right. You're taking us the wrong way." Steve agreed, surprising you that he actually agreed with Billy on something.

"It's north. I'm positive. I checked the map." Dustin replied.