Chapter 18- six months later

"Once I graduate and save up enough money, I'm out of here." Billy had said back during your first day of school together.

"Where do you want to go?" You had asked.

"Back to Cali."

"Got room for one more?"

California was more beautiful than you had ever imagined.

The Byers had packed up and moved across the country a few months after Starcourt, taking El with them. Joyce was now her legal guardian, but she was still your little sister. She was your responsibility now that Hopper was gone.

Billy didn't even hesitate to follow you to California.

The two of you now rented a beachside apartment only a couple blocks from the Byers house. El and Will always came over, Jonathan and his friend Argyle usually with them too.

Billy had gotten a job at the local garage, training as a mechanic which he seemed to be enjoying. He sent half his paycheck to the Mayfield's every fortnight, wanting Susan to be able to afford new things for Max as well as pay off the bills that his father had dumped on her.

You had gotten a job at the library down the street, mainly because it was quiet and didn't require much talking.

You had been trying to put on a brave face ever since Starcourt. Trying to cover your pain with bright smiles and laughter around Billy and the others, but at work you were able to stop pretending. You didn't have to smile, you didn't have to pretend to be happy, not when you were just stacking books on shelves or helping the occasional stranger find a certain novel.

Work was your escape, and you knew that was fucked up, but it was. You were tired of having to pretend that you were okay, but at the same time, you didn't want Billy, El or the Byers to know how you really felt.

Billy knew you were hurting, despite how hard you tried to hide it. He was worried about you, but you kept brushing off his concerns. There was nothing he could do to help you, not unless he could bring Hopper back from the dead.

"You okay? You've barely said anything the entire drive." Billy commented, glancing over at you from the driver seat of the Camaro.

You watched as Billy sped past the old 'Welcome to Hawkins' sign as you entered the town. But someone had crossed out Hawkins and wrote HELL instead and you thought that seemed rather fitting.

"Just tired." You lied, leaning your head back against the headrest.

Billy eyed you out the corner of his eye, knowing that was bullshit, but decided not to call you out on it and instead focused back on the road as he drove in the direction of the Trailer Park.

The two of you had managed to get a week off work to come back to Hawkins and visit Max. It was a surprise for her birthday, the new skateboard on the backseat a present you guys had saved up for and wanted to give to her in person.

It didn't take long before Billy turned off into the Trailer Park, actually slowing down to the speed limit as he squinted at the numbers on each trailer trying to find the correct one.

You leant forward and cranked up the stereo, blasting Scorpions Rock You Like A Hurricane causing Billy to start laughing catching on to what you were doing before he rolled the windows down.

A few old people sitting by their Winnebago's glared at you as you drove past, the music way to loud, but Billy just grinned and pulled up in front of the trailer and revved the engine loudly.