Chapter 12

My Obsession

I'm back in the water, where I don't want to be. I'm afraid of water because I don't know how to swim. Fear of drowning, of having water clog your lungs and sinking slowly into the deepest part of the ocean. My father, John, never taught me to swim because he was too preoccupied with his work and his friends. To think about it, I was completely alone growing up in America. Nobody acknowledges my existence. Jason was always out with his friends or with random girls he met.
Gracie was the only one who cared, and she's no longer with us. She looked after me and loved me as if I were one of her own children.

She made me feel at ease in my own skin, at ease knowing that we may not be blood relatives, but we are close enough to accept me as a member of her family and love me for who I am. She was and always will be my mother; she introduced me to womanhood when I had my first period, and she helped me with friends and crushes during high school.

She saw my first in everything, and I saw her final breath.

   Edoardo's POV

I reached for the surface, gasping for air as I gripped Amara's waist and helped her up to the surface. She lets out a loud gasp, coughs, and flops her arms around quickly.

"Hold me, hold me," she demanded, gripping my shirt to keep from falling back into the water.

"It's okay, I've got you," I reassured her, hoping she would relax. It was a struggle to keep us both above water, so I gripped her tightly and forced my lips to a thin line.

"W-Who exactly are they? And why were they shooting at us?" She asked, looking around the ocean.

I look up, my gaze drawn to the cliff from which we had just jumped. I recognize them and understand why they were shooting. I return her gaze and take this opportunity to admire her soaked hair, which she manages to look stunning in.

I mean, not beautiful, but average.

My nostrils flared as I cleared my throat."They're getting revenge for that guy I killed," I said, and she looked at me with her big brown eyes wide with surprise.

" That creep? But he deserved it."

"It's his people; I've seen some of their faces before." "I elaborated. I closed my eyes as the water rose to my face. I groan softly as I gaze up at the cliff and notice their tiny heads peering down at us. I clenched my teeth and frowned as they pointed their guns down to shoot. They fired and missed, and I watched the bullets fly straight into the water near me. " Down!" I yelled, pushed us under the water.

I opened my eyes under the water to see Amara's eyes closed tight and her arms waving around, causing bubbles to form. I reached for her arm but was abruptly stopped when a bullet passed through, blocking my path. I failed to grab her and watched her sink further below. I swim after her, watching the bullets pass by. I stopped swimming and closed my eyes, attempting but failing to hold my breath. I swam up quickly and gasped for air. I wiped my wet face and opened my eyes. I turn around in the water, but there is no sign of her. I expected her to have swum back up by now. I suddenly remembered something she said before we jumped down.

- I'm not sure how to swim!

" Cazzo! ( Fuck!)" I punched the water before diving back in. I kept my eyes peeled, looking for her. I swam further down, turning my head to look for her. I continue to swim deeper, noticing the water darkening.

I kept swimming until I noticed her body was still and sinking further down. I swam up to her, grabbed her arm, and pulled her close to me. I swam back up to the surface, holding her tight. I felt my throat itching to gasp for air as I gazed up while swimming back. As I reached for the surface, I held it in, my face turning red. I coughed and gasped. I immediately drew Amara's body up and pushed her in front of me, holding her from behind. I turn around, noticing a nearby cave with rocks around it. The ideal location for blocking the enemies' view. I start swimming backwards, holding her waist.