Chapter 17

My Obsession

Amara's pov

Edoardo dragged me back to his house after the event, where we were greeted by his maid and bodyguards.

Edoardo stops for a moment as he notices my altered demeanor. He turns around to face me, still clutching my hand in his. "What is the problem?"He questioned.

I continued to frown my brows, my mind racing over what had happened with Fiona. I bite my thumb and sucking hard on it.

" Percorrere ( Come)" He abruptly spoke, firming his grip on my hand, and led us to a room I'd never been to before. I'm not sure what he said, but I let him take me.

He opens the door, and I enter, noticing it was a living room, but a little smaller. A room where you want to be alone with your thoughts, away from everyone else. I say this because the room had been dimly lit and was once again decorated in black. I'm curious how many times a day they'd have to clean this house because it's all black and attracts dust.

He drags me to the leather couch and forces me to sit with him. He stares at me, expecting me to open up, but I don't.

"When you went over to speak with your stepmother, something happened. What actually happened?" He asked, curious.

I sighed heavily, my eyes narrowed as I looked down at the wooded floorboards. "Don't worry about it." I tried to avoid it by responding softly. In frustration, I covered my face with my hands and groaned. Her words kept coming back to me.

' Do you want to end up like your birth mother, Amara?'

I felt his hand resting on my thigh and the warmth of his hand on my skin. I turn around and look at him; he leans in close, staring deep into my brown eyes.

"My father used to work with your parents, Amara. So tell me whatever you want. I just want you to know that you can put your trust in me."

Nibbling on my bottom lip, I bit it. I desperately want to tell him, but I don't want him to feel sorry for me.

He takes his hand from my thigh and rests it on my cheek. He gently turns my face to him, looking at him slowly and unsure whether to tell him.

"You won't believe me; you'll think I'm lying," I said as I turned away from him.

"If you could just give me a change to," he said.

I sighed deeply, gazing up at the ceiling and inhaling deeply. "Fiona, my stepmother, she cheated on John with Jason," I said, cracking an uneasy smile as I returned my gaze to the floor.

"And who exactly is Jason?" He questioned, unsure of who he was.

"My brother, well, John's son," I said, looking over to see how he reacted. He scrunched his nose in disgust, but his eyes were baffled and he shook his head.

" Un'altra ragione per cui penso che gli americani siano stupidi ( Another reason why i think Americans are stupid)"

" Sorry?" I asked, not knowing what he had said. He raises both of his brows and shakes his head.

"That's strange," he said, noticing the deeply uncomfortable tone in his voice. I agreed with him and nodded. "But why are you acting as if something happened to you? Did they harm you in any way?" He questioned. He keeps staring at me, noticing my dull expression as I got lost in my thoughts.

Remembering the times I spent with them. Fiona and Jason locked me in the basement for hours and days, refusing to let me out. They did this whenever John left for work or a business trip.

I turn around and stare at him, my eyes welling up with tears. I held my breath, not wanting tears to fall down my cheeks.

"If I recall correctly, you ran inside the hotel that night and claimed Jason tried to kill you. I believe you said that, no?"

I closed my eyes, allowing the tears to fall down my cheeks. I turn away from him, not wanting him to see me in this state. I let out a small sob, feeling my body shake as I cried.

" Amara?" He sounded worried and put his hand on my back to comfort me.

I wiped my tears away with my hands and sniffed my nose. I turn around and face him. "I caught the two of them cheating that night." I told him what had happened. I swallowed hard and closed my eyes. "Jason tried to kill me that night because he was afraid I would tell John about him and Fiona."

My lips trembled as I told him everything. He frowns his brows and stares at me with cold eyes. He turns away from me, his knuckles to his lips. "If I had known, I would have assassinated him," he said, flashing his crazy eyes at me.

I continued to cry as I breathed through my heavy chest. I had no idea I had been keeping this all inside of me for so long, and it feels great to let it all out. To calm me down, he turns to me and pulls me into his chest, hugging me while rubbing my back and smoothing my hair.

"I will keep you safe, and I will not let anyone hurt you again," he stated firmly.

I rubbed my nose and looked up at him. I pressed my lips together and put my hands against his cheeks, staring into his dark brown eyes. I lowered my gaze to his lips, my cheeks flushing as I lean in and kissed him on the lips. He kisses me back but quickly pushes me away, shaking his head.

"You're in pain, and you have no idea what you're doing," he said, avoiding eye contact while licking his lips.

"I know exactly what I'm doing." I replied honestly, moving closer to him.

"Amara, you hate me. You don't have to do this to make yourself feel better." He stated that he believes I am only using him.

I lowered my brows and shook my head slightly. "I don't hate you," I said, my gaze fixed on him and his dark features. "I'm just afraid I'll fall for you."