Bonus Chapter - Four Kages and an Onsen

It was December in Iwagakure. The normally barren rocky mountains were steeped in powdery white snow. The air was crisp and dry, sharp on the lungs. The Five Kage Summit had been exhausting, as usual, but there was a sense of excitement amongst all of the participants. The winter holidays were fast approaching and despite the challenges the season brought with it, including heightened emotions, there was more warmth and good cheer.

Kurotsuchi had suggested to the rest of them that they visit the onsen on the outskirts of town. It was part of a resort that was very difficult to get into this time of year. When the other Kages had expressed interest she had personally seen to their reservations and had made it happen. They had protested politely, of course, but she knew it was for show.

"Are you going to come with us?" Darui had asked her, eyes lingering on hers a little longer than usual.

"I'd love to, but I think you have to admit I'd be sitting out by myself. Our group is skewed a little male, don't you think?" She cast an apologetic glance at Misuno. "Sorry, I forgot it isn't just me. Perhaps Misuno and I can get to know eachother better at the onsen?"

Misuno shook her head. "Thank you, Lady Tsuchikage, but I am not comfortable going to the onsen. I would, however, be interested in snow sports." Her ever-present mask covered her mouth. Kurotsuchi wondered if her reluctance had something to do with whatever was beneath the mask.

Darui seemed disappointed but nodded his head in agreement. "How dull. Thank you again for making these arrangements."

She smiled and waved it off, eyes looking to Chojuro curiously. Although he had turned her down gently in Sunagakure she couldn't help but find his sharp smile and kind eyes attractive. She still wondered what lucky lady had captured his heart. He did not wear a wedding ring, she noticed with satisfaction.

Chojuro was lost in his thoughts when he felt eyes on him. He jumped slightly and blushed when he caught her looking at him. She smiled at him. He had been so used to her berating him for one thing or another when they were younger and he found it endearing. "I agree, Kurotsuchi. It was very nice of you to set this up. I for one am looking forward to it." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously, squinting as he smiled. "I hope you and Misuno are able to have some fun."

Gaara watched the exchange silently, arms folded. Naruto set a hand on his shoulder and Gaara looked at him, confusion in his eyes. Naruto smiled at him reassuringly with a quick glance to Chojuro. Gaara relaxed his jaw and dropped his arms--he had not noticed he'd been so tense.

"I'll show her a good time, don't worry," she replied back. "Be careful out there, though. The water out there is hot. Right, Akatsuchi?"

"She's right. I've been a couple times and I've nearly passed out. But I don't do well with the heat. I'm sure you all will be fine. I won't be joining you this time. I still have holiday shopping to do!"

The large group of men made their way to the resort, checking in for the last evening of their stay and making themselves comfortable before meeting at the onsen.

~~~~~~

Kankuro draped a plush black robe over himself and grabbed some slippers before walking into the shared space of his suite with Gaara. Gaara sat in a similar robe a size smaller, sitting on the arm of a sofa with arms folded. His browbones were furrowed together.

"Okay, Gaara. I know that look. What's wrong?"

Gaara shifted his cool eyes to his brother. "I didn't think this through."